Re: Walker performance vs Atl]

>From: <r-ramani@usa.net>
>
>Forgive me if I get this wrong. You value his potential triple double then his
>shooting percentage?

No, I value his _actual_ triple doubles rather than his shooting
percentage.  I also value his near-triple doubles, and those games
where he may "only" get 7 rebs and asissts apiece.  I value all of
Walker's good performances -- and when he has a less-than-stellar
outing and the team wins, I don't call him a cancer (not saying you
did; just using a little hyperbole to make a point).

>In my opinion, Walker as multi-skilled as he is, is a problem for our team.

_How_ is he a problem?  I see one of two guys who are carrying the
team to the playoffs, "Coach" Thomas and a tough remaining schedule
willing.  Look, no one is saying they are content with Walker's low
FG% _or_ his shot selection, which could be improved upon.  He should
work on that.  On the other hand, he's made some good strides this
year.  Seems to me, watching games, that when Walker _does_ go 6-20,
he often does other things to help the team.  Just as, a few games
ago, he made a sort of boneheaded play during the last minute or so,
only to steal the ball on the ensuing defensive stand.  He's _always_
doing something like this.  (OK, not _always_ but a lot more these
days, and I'm too much of a realist not to take that and say, "Thank
you, sir, may I have some more?")

The problem I see is that Walker is clearly more comfortable playing
the quick forward.  I say let him.  Get (or develop [hint hint for
you, El Tonio]) a more traditional-type power forward or center to
complement him and Pierce.

>So far Pierce has stepped up his game, but eventually opposing teams will
>double him whenever he gets the ball.

Huh?  Aren't they doubling him now?  I don't see him taking many
shots where there's only one guy guarding him (OK, when he _blows by_
the original defender, that may be the case).  Tommy even made
reference to a play where Pierce had "four guys on him!" -- more
about a collapsing Chicago defense rather than four defenders
_really_ playing one guy, but Pierce gets double- and even
triple-teamed on a regular basis.  Has all year, if I'm not mistaken.

>I'd been advocating Carr to play because I think he can flat out score
>baskets. At least I was hoping before he got injured he could score when teams
>double team Pierce.

Gotta agree with you here.  I had been pleasantly suprised at Carr's
(relative) defensive ability.  Couple that with the ability to shoot
and score the basketball, and he was a pretty good option off the
bench.  Trouble is, I think, we've got a _lot_ of swingman-types
(especially if Antoine moves there as well), and only 48 minutes at
each position.  For example, a revitalized Adrian Griffin makes that
rotation (for me), because AG just does good things on the court.
Stith is similar.  What about EWilliams?  The draft picks (with which
we are sure to come up with at least _one_ guy who has to play
SG/SF)?  I dunno.

Regards,

Bill

The Celtic "Tird"