Re: Philly Game Illustrates The Difference Between An Impact Player And Very Good/Good-Plus Players

Way Of The Ray wrote:

> NBA talent isn't cumulative. Mutumbo an
> impact player beat Pierce, a very good player,
> and Walker, a good-plus player. It's that simple.

The difference between Walker and Pierce is more than you think. Ask any
sound minded general manager who they'd prefer to have on their team and
I can almost 100% guarantee you Walker would be the chosen man time
after time [if they had equal sized contracts].

Pierce is too one dimensional. I've been one of his supporters, but I'm
sick of people saying that he is better than Antoine Walker. He is
clearly not the player Walker is in my opinion. Since when has Pierce
had the ability to deliver a triple double, since when has Pierce had to
get double-doubles? I'd much prefer a triple threat than a
one-dimensional scorer who plays very risky defense.

Defense is one area that Walker has improved dramatically in the past
season. His defense has improved so much that you cannot use that as an
argument to why Pierce is better. Twelve months ago, sure you could have
used it as an argument. In fact, I'd go so far as to suggest that Walker
is equal or better to Pierce's defense.

I'm not saying that he (Pierce) is a bad player, no, I like him a lot.
He'll improve dramatically if he lifts weights. You people who say that
hes better than Walker because "Walker's a lazy player" just ask
yourselves, is Pierce the same? Pierce had most of the off-season to
lift weights. If he was really interested in lifting weights then he
would have. Sure, the stabbing incident would have taken *some* of his
conditioning away, but it would not have taken it all away. Besides,
most people believe that it was mostly the mental damage that Pierce had
to overcome. If we were so sure that Paul Pierce was going to lift
weights during the off-season then do you really think that you'd be
asking yourself "Will Paul Pierce do the right thing this off season and
lift weights?"

Also, I believe both Walker and Pierce are impact players with a solid
rest of the team. Its those 3 to 12 players that let this team down time
and time again.

> C's better find one in the offseason.
> Until they come up with an impact player or two,
> don't expect this Celtics team to go far. Sure
> with a couple of good draft choices and a good
> exception signing, they might actually make the
> playoffs. But go far?
>
> No chance. As long as Pierce and Walker are
> the best you've got, it's no further than the second
> round for this motley crew.

I strongly disagree. If Walker and Pierce are the two best players on
your team and you have a solid 3 to 12 then your team can be as good as
any in the league. The problem with this team is not the top end talent,
its the other players that are the problem. This team with a quality
bench and a decent point guard should and would be much more explosive
than the Milwaukee Bucks. Why? Ray Allen doesn't play defense, period.
Even though I dont like Pierce's defense at least he *tries* to do
something on that end of the floor. Pierce will hopefully learn (under a
good NBA coach) how to play NBA defense. In the NCAA you have a zone
which means that you can take a lot more risks because usually if your
four other players are strong enough defenders (and we know he played
with some strong defensive types with Raef LaFrentz. He may have played
with Jacque Vaughn and Scot "Sumari Warrior" Pollard also).

> Adding an impact player and subtracting Walker.
> Well, now you've got a chance to do something.
>
> Ray

Subtracting Walker would be the biggest mistake an NBA team has ever
made and that includes the Celtics originally getting Rick Pitino. Who
we going to get for him Ray?? Please dont tell me Dale Davis. We need to
score more than 50 points per game, y'know?