Formula for building a championship team, like all good strategies, is
simple.

In real estate, it's Location, Location, Location.  In sports, the 3 most
important factors are Quality, Quality, Quality.  Go for quality over
numbers every time.

We have two A-quality players who are superstars – or soon will be.   Pierce
gets better every year and that will continue.  Walker first improved his
foul shooting and passing, then his 3-point percentage, and lately his
decision-making and steals.  Look for this to continue.  Trading either
would be sheer folly.

We must keep these two and add quality wherever targets of opportunity
allow, regardless of whether it’s through draft, free agency, or trades.  We
may not find more A’s, but we should aim to have one or two B’s by next
season and at least three B’s by 2002-03 to replace the C’s and D’s we have
now.

Alden