RE: BSG Says Walker Out Of Control

One more time... I'm not saying trade Toine because he's no good, has a bad
attitude, don't like the wiggle or any other such nonsense. I know he's a
talent. My contention is that a team built around an undersized,
perimeter-oriented, soft power forward is never going to win consistently.
Stick him at small forward, Pierce at shooting guard and fill in around the
edges and I'm happy. But, again, it has been five years now and we still
haven't seen Toine at small forward.

It comes down to how I feel the team should be structured. I'm tired of
getting beaten up by bigger, stronger teams. It's time for the Celtics to
realize that this game is won by big men. Toine could be a dominant physical
small forward, with perimeter skills needed for the position... but if he
isn't used that way, he's never going to be more than an undersized matchup
problem at the PF spot.

I'm as excited about those first-rounders as anyone, but the truth is none
of those picks figure to be higher than No. 10, and that's still a huge
crapshoot. This will be a great draft, but look back through the history of
the draft at the players drafted at 10 or lower. It's not an impressive
bunch. Maybe we'll get lucky with another Pierce, but the odds are long.
Whoever we draft, assuming we don't luck into the top three, will be role
players at best early in their careers. Of those five first-rounders in the
next three years, can you agree that we'll be lucky if two of them turn into
legitimate contributors? And that's over the next three years. Three years.
I'm not looking for a quick fix by any means, but are we going to reserve
judgement on Toine until his eighth season? Is that when we can safely say
"he is what he is?"

Anyway, I'm not eagerly plotting Toine's departure. I just have a different
vision of this team than the current regime (and most of our posters,
apparently).

Mark