Re: Troy Murphy

    Hi Patrick, that's cool that you've had a chance to watch Murphy
often. As long as you don't think he could be another Bill Curly (a
great Big East player BTW) I'm happy. It sounds at times like  Murphy
doesn't have any kind of defensive impact like a Kevin McHale even
against college stars. But he could be productive down low and at least
he has a decent 20+ foot shot in his repertoire, plus the great work
ethic, plus he's "Fighting Irish" and that's always a welcome match in
Boston. If Murphy had the athleticism of Tom Chambers or Van Horn, he'd
surely be a top five pick and have a productive pro career. I'd love it
if Boston drafted great, great defenders first and foremost, who could
be productive third scorers as well.

Below is ESPN's scouting reports on Troy Murphy and his underrated
senior teammates Ryan Humphrey and Martin Inglesby:

Troy Murphy 6-11 245          .492FG% 22.6ppg  9.3 rpg, 1.7 bpg, 2.1 apg

Turns into the basket out of the post for the faceup jumper ... Fades
and hits on the turnaround ... Can go to either shoulder ... Incredible
range ... Tremendous in his off the ball movement ... Will run catch and
shoot despite standing 6-11 ... Catches the ball well, sharp hand-eye
coordination ... Good mobility as a rebounder, but only to a point ...
Not the first guy up court, but runs the floor well enough ...
Moderately recruited prospect out of high school, his success to date
has far surpassed the level of expectations he came in with.

Ryan Humphrey 6-8 233 lbs. - 14.3ppg  2.8 bpg 9.0 rpg .510FG%
Lively body ... Remarkable quickness off the floor allows him to play at
the power forward spot despite being slightly undersized ... Good foot
speed ... Runs a 4.7 second 40-yard dash ... Moves laterally across the
lane for bank shots off the baseline ... Fine turnaround jumper in the
low post ... Quick pullup jumper facing the basket on the blocks,
catching his defender off guard ... Good faceup shooter out to
long-range ... Gets so much elevation on his release that at times it
seems as if he's shooting down at the rim ... Ball comes at the basket
quick and hard with little arc ... Owns a long wingspan ... Terrific
rebounder ... Awesome shotblocking skills with the quick leaping and
tremendous timing ... Keeps his feet moving on defense ... Extremely
foul prone and inconsistent ... Sat out his junior season due to NCAA
regulations ... Called it the longest and worst year of his life ...
Asthma problems affect his fatigue ... A McDonald's All-American in
basketball, a Parade All-American in football at tight end ... Could
have played both sports at virtually any program in the country but
decided to focus solely on basketball ... Father played football at
Tulsa and than for the Pittsburgh Steelers ... Brother, Rod, played
football for University of Pittsburgh ... Played his high school
basketball with Etan Thomas who later would attend Syracuse, Marcus Hill
eventually of Tulsa, Brian Nicholls a Jackson State signee and B.J.
Tiger who played football for Oklahoma State.

Martin Ingelsby  6-0 175  -  6.7 apg 2.0 to's .455 3pt FG%
Tremendous perimeter shooter ... Super quick release off the spot-up
curl ... Puts incredible arc and rotation on his trajectory ... Solid
stop-start speed on the hesitation dribble ... Maintains his vision with
his dribble for the potential drive and dish ... Rarely gets deep in the
lane and is more likely to kick the ball out than attempt to finish in
traffic ... A starter the first two years of his career before being
delegated to a role off the bench in his third.

-------