Troy Murphy

   It's hard for me to be impartial since I'm such a
big Notre Dame fan and have watched almost all of Troy
Murphy's games but it would be very interesting to see
him in green.  I still think the best options for the
Celtics are to pick a Jason Williams of Duke as their
PG or one of the young gun 7 footers in the draft.
That being said, it might come down to a guy like
Murphy who stands 6'11", can run the floor, nail the
20' jumper and has post game.  I found this in the
South Bend Tribune.

* * *

NEW YORK -- A lightly-recruited, free-spirited New
Jersey lefty joined some select Big East company
Tuesday evening, becoming only the fourth player in
league history to earn consecutive Player of the Year
honors.

Notre Dame junior power forward Troy Murphy, who led
the Big East in scoring (22.6 points per game) for a
second straight season, shares the award with
sophomore point guard Troy Bell of Boston College.

That elevates Murphy into the same class as former Big
East stars Patrick Ewing of Georgetown, Connecticut's
Richard Hamilton and Chris Mullin of St. John's as the
only multiple Player of the Year winners.

Should Murphy bypass another chance at the NBA Draft
and return for his senior season, he would likely
challenge Bell to join Mullin as the only player to
earn league Player of the Year honors three times.

Might that happen?

"I have no idea," Murphy said when pressed for his
future plans. "I'm just going to go to the banquet,
get some food. That's about it."

Brey indicated Tuesday that he has had discussions
with former Boston Celtics president Red Auerbach
about Murphy's potential draft status. Auerbach did
not give Brey a definitive number of where Murphy
would be slotted, but it would certainly be among the
marquee picks.

"If he came out, he'd be a lottery guy," Brey said.
"I'm sure he's on (Boston's) war-room board."

* * *

Goggin in Cincinnati