Re: wow! get this. Kenny almost went

At 08:23 AM 3/2/01 -0500, Cynthia Ozersky wrote:
From Vescey's column:

Sources say the Celtics nearly accepted the Mavericks' invitation to assume Kenny Anderson's salary (two years to go after this at $17.5M) in return for season-ending contracts and Boston's three first-round picks. Who knows what would've happened had John (Why?) Brown not been consulted.

If Vecsey is to be believed, this shows that Kenny Anderson and his big contract is worth minus 3 first-round draft picks. And the proposals of "Anderson and picks for [All-Star]" are obviously disconnected from any sort of reality. Depressing but not surprising.

I would guess that this deal and the deal to dump McCarty on the Bulls were connected, because getting rid of both is much more valuable than just one or the other. If we had dumped both and then renounced most of our free agents (Stith in particular), then we would likely be below the cap enough to pursue a premier free agent, or use the cap space to facilitate favorable trades. Orlando did a similar dumping of lottery talent when they sent Dooling and Maggette to the Clippers, but they were the premier free agent destination, so it was obviously much less risky. But just dumping Kenny's salary in isolation probably doesn't help our cap situation enough to warrant it.

As it is, if we have to hand out three first-round contracts and extend Pierce this offseason, I don't see any cap flexibility for many years. Hopefully one of these picks will turn into something special.

Alex