Re: Here We Go Again

At 23:03 6/29/2001 -0700, you wrote:

>This is a nice story but it obviously is doesn't work and Stockton and
>Malone are the last of the breed. Using this philosophy we should have kept
>or look to reacquire the likes of Montross, Dee Brown, Chauncey Billups, and
>hey what's Dino Radja doing? We are probably still paying him !

I was talking about the team's stars, not role players who had serious
flaws or outright stunk.
On the other hand, holding on to Fox and Wesley as valuable role players
wouldnt've been so bad, now would it?

> You have to
>show some huevos to build a team. It has been 16 years, and 10 since we have
>seen a playoff game !

Our last playoff game was in 1995, which is not to say it hasn't been a
long time.

>Jerry West went after Shaq, and took the risk on Kobe, that why they are the
>champs. They didn't sit around saying "You know Vlade & Elden has been with
>us for years now, lets wait it out, this is their year". The same with Eddie
>Jones, Glen Rice, & Isaiah Rider. When they don't work out,  you move them.

Of course, but I don't think Walker can be termed a "didn't work out" case.
Sure, he has flaws, bu most of these are correctable with maturity and
being in better shape, both of which he seems to be acquiring. Mercer and
Billups were players who didn't work out with us, and Pitino got rid of
them (if only to acquire a bigger headcase in the Billups trade).
In the Lakers's case, West essentially acquired budding superstars (Shaq &
Kobe) for players who were good players but not superstars (Campbell,
Divac, Jones etc., despite some token All-Star appearances in this group).
Kobe is 'native' Laker, and Shaq came over as an FA before the prime of his
career. If Wallace can package, say, Battie & Vitaly for some high school
phenom who becomes a superstar, then I'm all for it.
Kestas