Re: Hog wild for JJ

At 22:34 28/06/01 -0400, CeltsSteve@AOL.com wrote:
><http://www.ardemgaz.com/today/spt/C1holtjohnson28.asp>http<http://www.ardemgaz.com/today/spt/C1holtjohnson28.asp>://www.ardemgaz.com/today/spt/C1holtjohnson28.asp
>

>"Playing at Arkansas has gotten me ready for what I need to do [in the NBA],"
>Johnson said. "Getting up at 5:30 in the morning for practice has mentally
>prepared me for what's about to happen, and [Razorbacks] Coach [Nolan]
>Richardson's system of getting up and down the floor and getting after it on
>both ends of the floor has helped me out. "I'll take it on the professional
>level now."
>
>Charles Barkley, the longtime NBA star for the Philadelphia 76ers, Phoenix
>Suns and Houston, said of Johnson, "Any player that plays for Nolan
>Richardson is going to be tough, No. 1, and is going to play hard for you
>every night."

Thanks for that post, CSteve. 48 minutes of hell, baby.

Both Joe's (Johnson and Forte) were quoted as saying they'd been worked out
at point guard by NBA teams. In some sense we may not need to worry that
much about being undersized.  In some cases we may even see size mismatches
on the floor in our favor.

If Boston down the road can eventually get 10 rebounds per game from the
starting guard combo (say Pierce and Forte), that's going to have a great
impact.

Because of his defensive role in college and shooting/dribbling skills,
Johnson's scouting reports read almost like a modern-day, 6-8 version of
Joe Dumars. Kedrick Brown could work out as a  Vinnie Johnson/ Paul Pressey
type sixth man by his second year. Of course that is probably pure fantasy.

It is nice to see three kids get picked and not once hear "weight room
away" or "jumpshot away".  All you needed last year to get Stith's 25 to 30
minutes per game is to can your spot-up jump shots and play heads up man
defense. I believe that one or more of the three rookies could win those
kind of Stith-Williams minutes by midseason, even if they are years away
from showcasing their complete game.

To me  the storyline out of this draft is that we got  three "best of both
worlds" guys who shoot well enough to exploit the new zone rules, yet
create offense well enough to not miss these new rules if they get
rescinded after a year. Plus all three kids got stellar grades on defense
compared to most scorers (White/Gasol) picked that early in an NBA draft,
not to mention Pierce and Walker when they came out of school.

I think Dick Harter is going to make a Joe Kerrigan (Red Sox pitching
coach) type of impact on this team and get the new players to gel fairly
quickly in their defensive responsibilities, as we move away from the
headless chicken outbreak system.

Wallace/Papile got what they wanted in this draft by focusing from the
start on what they perceived to be the hidden strength (athletic swing
forwards in the Jason Richardson mold) and letting the other lottery teams
and the 11-19 teams panic shop on what was touted as a rare center/bigman
draft. It may turn out to be both those things (it certainly won't go down
as a PG draft!) but at least Wallace stuck to his gameplan and the chips
fell right that day from that perspective.

Go Celts!

***