Re: [Celtic_Pride] Re: ESPN: Johnson, Brown not too thrilled

At 10:44 28/06/01 -0400, Kestutis.Kveraga@dartmouth.edu wrote:
>I have a question for the college bball gurus on the list about JJ: in the
>clips they showed of him, he didn't seem like one of those athletic types. His
>movements were sort of slow-deliberate-measured, which indicates skill but
>perhaps also lack of athleticism. Now, I know they wouldnt've taken him if he
>were a shooting guard version of Potapenko, so maybe he's like Pierce -
>athletic, but doesn't base his game on athleticism and trying to
>overpower/outjump people?

Hi Kestas:
The words "fluid" and "smooth" comes up, but no one seems to question his
athleticism or speed. Kind of sounds like the Seattle-era Dennis Johnson in
this way...

FoxSports (I think).

"I like him a lot," said one NBA personnel executive. "He's one of those
guys who plays a lot harder than it may appear. He has very fluid
movements, very quick, but very deceptive, too. And if he's not 6-8, he's
pretty close to it. He has a very, very nice stroke (44 percent on
three-pointers last season). A very fluid jump shooter, who'll have to
adjust to the NBA line, but I think he will. He also looks like he might be
a really good defensive player someday. I think he's gotta be a three
(small forward), but he has the skills to probably play some two (shooting
guard). And don't forget this ... fluid. Very."

ESPN
Prototypical small forward with his combination of forward size and guard
ability ... Excellent face up scorer ... Range out to three ... Beautiful
first step ... Smooth, there is no real moment in his acceleration that
stands out from the rest, so he turns the corner in a deceptive manner ...
Size obviously is a major benefit as he goes into his finish ... Could add
more strength to compete more effectively for position on the box ...
Manages to be effective nevertheless, his footspeed enables him to
completely beat his defender to the gap ...