Re: Gasol is in!

At 13:16 20/06/01 -0400, Berry, Mark  S wrote:
>Good news for the Celts. That ensures they get one of those "elite 10." They
>probably would have anyway, because someone will surprise us, but Gasol
>cinches it. There's certainly a chance he could slide all the way to 9,
>where Detroit probably would follow through with that rumored bidding war
>between Boston and Houston. The Celts supposedly will give up 11&21, the
>Rockets 13&18-and the Pistons would decide between the offers. The Pistons
>can do that because the guy they're looking at-maybe Haywood-probably would
>be there at 11 (since it seems the Celts have no interest). The question is,
>will the Bulls, Warriors or Grizzlies snatch up Gasol before he gets to that
>point?
>
>Anyway, it's good news. Got it from ESPN.com, by the way.
>
>Mark

Great. That's a relief. It puts Boston in a good spot. I do agree with the
analysis that there is a "big four" followed by six more upside guys. After
that you have the best of the upperclassmen to choose from. Boston is
pretty much assured of getting one from each group with the 10th and 11th
pick. I personally don't mind waiting a year for Gasol, were he to be
available at #10. As for trading two picks (#10 and #21) to move up one
slot, I figure they should go get the guy they want. If it's Gasol, that's
fine with me, unless two really good player were still on the board.

Changing the subject, I was wondering if they ever identified the guy who
cracked Michael Jordan's ribs? I'm hoping it wasn't Toine, having read in
earlier reports that they were often guarding and trashing talking each
another. Apparently MJ was posting up someone when it happened. Doug
Collins said it was a freak accident. In any case, losing MJ for two months
could conceivably lesson Antoine's commitment to the program. Naturally, I
hope that's not the case. Weightlifting can be quite addictive once you
start seeing results in the mirror, and hopefully Toine will keep up the
work under Tim Grover's supervision.