Moving up ?

If the last sentence is true I would expect we have our sights on a bigger fish than Gasol and expect We have been in touch with Washington and LA..

Sportstalk Rumor

Celtics, Rockets Duking It Out for Gasol. . .
With the draft now just two weeks away the Boston Celtics, Houston Rockets are making a major push to get into the top six picks in the 2001 NBA Draft.  A league source told sportsTALK late last night that both teams are in the hunt for F.C. Barcelona forward Pau Gasol.  The Rockets and the Celtics are among several suitors that covet 7'1" forward from Barcelona despite the fact that he has yet to work out for an NBA team.

Both the Rockets and the Celtics have offered the Vancouver Grizzlies multiple first round picks to move up to number six, the source told sportsTALK.  The Celtics have offered their 10th and 11th picks while the Rockets are offering their 13th and 18th picks. The Grizzlies like Gasol as well, but prefer Michigan State guard Jason Richardson.  The Grizzlies are afraid that if they trade down they'll lose their chance to draft Richardson. The Nets (7th) and the Cavs (8th) also have eyes for Richardson.

Boston has the inside track with the Grizzlies right now and Houston is also talking with the New Jersey Nets about sending their 13th and 18th picks to the Nets in return for the Nets 7th pick.  According to the same league source, the Rockets also like Charlotte forward Rodney White and will pursue him if they cannot land Gasol. If the Rockets cannot move their picks they likely still land a foreign prospect.  Expect them to take Yugoslavian forward Vladimir Radmanovic with their 18th pick if trade talks fall through.

The Celtics originally tried to work out a deal with the Atlanta Hawks for the third pick in the draft.  However, Atlanta is demanding a veteran, not more draft picks, to get a deal done.