Ask and you shall receive....

>The toughest move is from mediocre to good in the NBA, and I'm not so sure
>the Celts are ready to make that jump. It's certainly possible, but any talk
>of 50 wins probably is overly optimistic. I wish someone more ambitious than
>myself would go back and try to find any team that made a 14-win jump
>without adding a bonafide star via draft/free agency, etc.

Mark,

I agree with you that the biggest jump is from mediocre to good and
that the C's are probably a year away from really making a big jump.
But you're wish piqued my curiosity so i went back and looked (i
doubt this makes me more ambitious than you, maybe just more geeky).

Last year 5 teams made double-digit jumps in wins last year (only 1
team made 14 win jump, but consider San Antonio only made a 16 game
jump when they added Duncan and got Robinson back healthy (they did
add 36 wins when they added Robinson and Sean Elliott as rookies),
and i think the list will surprise you (it did me).

You could argue that almost every team did it without adding a
bonafide star, of course "bonafide" is up for debate. [Unfortunately
i really don't have the list of who each team lost, the old addition
by subtraction].  The conclusion that it seems to point to is that
Double Digit wins (at least last year) come from (a)
maturation/improvement of already present stars or soon-to-be-stars
(b) teams gelling as a unit and (c) the addition of some solid
supporting casts.

All of this of course bodes well for the Celtics b/c of the reports
of Antoine's summertime dedication, and the improvement we made at
the end of last season.

---

1.  Houston Rockets (+10)

additions:  Maurice Taylor, Jason Collier, Dan Langhi

NONE of these players are stars.  Taylor was a bust, averaging 5.5
rebounds at 6-9, 260?!?  And his scoring avg. dropped 4 points,
rebounds dropped 1.  The difference with the Rockets was (a) they
were just hurt the year before so the jump in wins was back to where
they should have been (b) Cutino Mobley doubling his rookie avg of
two years ago (9.9 in 98/99, 19.5 this year) and (c) Steve Francis
becoming the leader of the Rockets (instead of Hakeem).

2.  Milwaukee Bucks (+10)

additions:  Jason Caffey, Lindsey Hunter, Joel Pryzbilla

hardly any stars added here.  The Bucks won 10 more games (a) b/c the
East was weaker this year than last (10 of the 15 teams lost more
games this year than the previous year; 2 of the 3 teams that had
double digit drops in wins (Pacers & Pistons) were in the East (the
3rd?  lakers!) and (b) this team just came together, became a TEAM.
No player made any sort of significant jump in stats (a point or two
here, a rebound more for a couple players). They also stayed healthy,
something that plauged them in 99.

3.  Sacramento Kings (+11 -- and the only team to have more than 43
wins the previous year)

additions:  Doug Christie, Bobby Jackson, Hidayet Turkoglu

I would split this differential 3 ways.  (1) Chris Webber's MVP like
season, (2) Stojakovic's development (doubled rebounds and points to
become a legitimate 2nd option to Webber) and (3) acquiring Christie.
Christie played phenomenal but i don't think he's a star.

4.  Dallas Mavericks (+13)

additions:  Howard Eisley, Christian Laettner/Juwaan Howard, Loy
Vaught, Etan Thomas, Courtney Alexander/Calvin Booth, Donnell Harvey,
Eduardo Najera, Bill Curley

Mavs added Laettner and Eisley and 3 #1 picks (Thomas, Alexander and
Harvey) at the start of the season and J. Howard and Booth (for
Alexander, Thomas, Laettner and Hubert Davis) at the trade deadline.
So they added some talent but the big reason for the +13 wins was the
coming out of Dallas' Big 3 (if you'll allow me the term): Michael
Finley, Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitski.  Finley was already arguably an
all star, Nash avg. 3 more assists & 7 more points, Nowitzki added 4
points and 3 rebounds.

5.  L.A. Clippers (+16 (!))

additions:   Keyon Dooling, Corey Maggette, Derek Strong, Sean Rooks,
Darius Miles, Quentin Richardson

while Miles may turn out to be an all-star, and Dooling, Maggettee
and Richardson will probably enjoy productive NBA careers (a la Rick
Fox or Aaron McKie) i don't think anyone would say they fit into the
star category right now.  I think the Clips jump was due (1) to Lamar
Odom's maturation into a star (2) Alvin Gentry becoming coach and (3)
the overall overhaul of the roster.