Re: Palacio and Griffin

----- Original Message ----- From: "bird" <birdwl@earthlink.net>

> But Stith isn't a point, Jim.  I think C's management looked at the team's
> point guard blues last year and decided to lock someone up.  I was
> thinking the team could go one of two ways: 1) grab as many decent points
> as possible, possibly including Herren and Milt in order to forestall
> those kinds of problems again, or 2) pick one of our point guard free
> agents and lock him up.  With three new signings and and the very limited
> room on the roster, 1) wasn't going to work out, and Milt clearly won out
> over Herren last year.  (Too bad for Chris Herren -- injuries really
> limited his opportunity -- and I, for one, would have liked him on the
> team.  Oh, well.)

Hi Bill,

I have no problem with their decision to keep Milt and let Herren go.  I
just think they overpaid for him.  Maybe we'll find out that some other team
was willing to pay Milt the kind of money the Celtics apparently are going
to, but I'd be surprised.  I'd have expected Milt to get maybe $1-2m per
year, max.  No matter what the length of the contract was.  Bottom line is
he's got very little experience, and inexperienced point guards without
overwhelming talent do not usually command large salaries.  I mention Bryant
Stith as being someone who would demand more on the market because he is a
proven veteran with some scoring ability, who has earned upwards of $5m per
year in the past.  $3-4m seems much more appropriate for him, although as I
said, I'd rather the Celtics opted for Griffin instead, for less money.  If
the market forced them to pay what they did for Palacio, then fine.
Otherwise, I think it's a mistake.

I don't think it's a huge deal for the Celtics, although I think it *does*
matter.  Primarily because it seems like they've probably used most of their
exception on the signing. I also don't see why giving Stith that contract
causes problems with the luxury tax, but giving it to Milt doesn't.
Something doesn't add up, and we'll have to wait and see the details when
it's official.

Later,
Jim