Re: [Celtic_Pride] Nazr

At 17:03 02/07/01 +0800, kevin lok wrote:
>Trading for Nazr can be hazardous, based on experience with the
>Pot+pick for Andre Miller fiasco:
>- we don't know how Nazr will perform with the Cs. Of course he played
>together with Walker/Waltah/OBie before, but this is a different
>situation.
>- Nazr only get to play the last month of his 3 year career so far.
>Would you sign him long term based on this? It's risky.
>- Nazr is 6-10, Pot is 6-10, is Nazr a upgrade over Pot (or Battie or
>Blount)?
>- can we risk losing our #1 pick next draft, where it is PG deep?
>
>my wish is we stay put with our Pot-Blount-Battie center by committee.
>I can live with this till next Feb dateline.
>
>kevin

I totally agree it isn't worth trading a future pick or anything we got
last week. A sign-and-trade for one of our centers and one of our
redundancies (McCarty or Williams/Stith) would work for me. If Nazr wants
to leave it may force Atlanta's hand. Because so many teams are reportedly
spooked by the lux tax, and because of Nazr's height and lack of a track
record, we might get a better bargain than we expect if we explore it.
There's a big difference between 9+ rebounds after the trade and 11+ plus
rebounds as an Atlanta starter, from anything Boston has. Physically there
are big question marks (as with Fortson but to a lesser degree) and I don't
know a thing about how he does on defense. But it is worth exploring rather
than rejecting it off the bat because of exaggerated luxury cap fears. It
seems like one of those rare fits between a player and a team.

Joe

Since I'm on the subject, I'll post some old bookmarked opinions on Nazr
from the 1998 draft.

TSN
Center/Power forward, 6-10/270, Kentucky
Mohammed has outstanding hands. Not just for a big man, but for any player.
If you pass him the ball, Mohammed will probably catch it. Mohammed has a
big body and should be a valuable defensive presence as he's strong on the
boards and a good shot blocker. Possessing a strong work ethic and
attitude, Mohammed has progressed from an overweight project entering
college to a probable lottery pick. Even though he's not known for his
offense, Mohammed has some solid low-post moves, particularly a soft jump
hook. The consensus is that Mohammed should have stayed for his senior
year. While he's improving, he's simply not ready for the NBA. Mohammed's
game is still rough. He only averaged about 20 minutes a game last season,
and there are concerns about his stamina. His range is limited to within 10
feet. He may have trouble finding a position, too. At 6-10, he's not the
ideal size to play center, and he's probably not quick enough to play at
forward. While he improved his free-throw shooting as a junior, his career
average at UK was 58.1 percent.

USA Today
Early entry candidate for draft after junior season. Second on team with
12.0 ppg as Kentucky won their second NCAA title in three years. Led
Wildcats with 7.2 rpg, 75 blocks and 59.7% field goal shooting. Recorded
nine double-doubles to lead the team. Named first-team All-SEC by the
coaches and media. Finished career with 813 points and 532 rebounds.
Entered school weighing more than 300 pounds before dropping to 240. Showed
excellent work-ethic to develop from a 2.3 ppg scorer as a freshman to a
solid bigman in his third season. Has soft touch and decent post moves.
Good shot blocker. Could be a solid center in the NBA.

USENET:
The story of Nazr Mohammed is pretty well known. He started out as an
overweight project, who was a deep scrub on a national championship team
where he spent the majority of his playing time on the junior varsity. 3
years later he is the starting center for another national championship
team and is one of the best college centers in the country. A great story
so far, but where does it go from here? Overall, coming out early this year
is probably not the greatest move for Mohammed. Given the further
development he could make at UK his senior year, and with the seemingly
bare NBA draft scene in '99, he could have been a Top 5 pick next year. But
with the lack of quality big men in this year's pool, he may just be a high
pick this season. What's to like about Mohammed? Many things. For one, the
work ethic must be mentioned. Coming out of HS, Mohammed was vastly
overweight (350 pounds it was rumored) and was pretty much unknown on the
recruiting scene. But since that time, Mohammed has slimmed down to around
270 lbs, and has worked very hard on his game. Offensively, Mohammed is
solid down low. He has a few post moves -- most notably a soft jump-hook.
Late in the season, he even started showing off a fadeaway turnaround shot
that was pretty effective. What might be Mohammed's strongest point are his
hands. You throw it to him and you're pretty much guaranteed he's going to
catch it. Defensively, Mohammed gets good position and gets his share of
blocks. By simply being big, he's able to get rebounding position and body
out his defender. In general, Mohammed has a terrific attitude -- his work
ethic to improve his game and his treatment of coming off the bench early
in the season are testaments to it. Questions regarding Mohammed's game: is
he ready? While he's put up good numbers this past year at Kentucky, it
seems to be a unanimous opinion that Mohammed's game could use some more
refinement. While he's good down low, his range doesn't seem to go past 10
feet. At 6'10", he may be undersized for a center in the NBA, and he does
not seem quick enough to play PF. While he's lost a lot of weight, stamina
may still be a concern. Defensively, he seems to get into foul trouble often.
Outlook: if he stays in the draft, he most definitely will be a 1st round
pick. If he's on the board when the Celtics draft (if they're not in the
Top 5), I would almost bet Pitino grabbing yet another one of his former
players. But, if he comes back to UK, you're looking at a possible
All-American and a Top Lottery pick in '99.

***