Re: East All Star Team

On 30 Jan 2001, at 13:32, Berry, Mark  S wrote:

> Would Pierce be the next SF/SG selected? Maybe, although some would argue
> for Reggie Miller, Jalen Rose, Eddie Jones, Latrell Sprewell, Jamal Mashburn
> or even David Wesley, all of whom have performed pretty well for better
> teams.

I wouldn't put any of them ahead of Pierce. I'd rule out Miller and
Rose, because they are guards. Same for Eddie Jones and David
Wesley. Latrell Sprewell and Jamal Mashburn, although
traditionally thought of as being better than Pierce, are not having
better seasons than Pierce. Also, I don't buy the argument of better
team records. Stackhouse and Marbury both are on bad teams,
but they are rightfully All Stars.

> As for the power forward spot, I'm not so sure Toine would be the next
> choice. I'm actually amazed Brian Grant didn't make it. He has been great
> for the Heat, scoring more, rebounding, guarding bigger players and assuming
> a leadership role on that team in Mourning's absence.

I'd rule Grant out, because he is the center for the Heat and not a
forward.

> The NBA still gets to select two replacements for Hill and Mourning, right?
> The Mourning pick will come down to Antonio Davis, Dikembe Mutombo, Marcus
> Camby and Jermaine O'Neal. The Hill pick could go to Toine, although I'd say
> Grant is more likely. I also wouldn't be shocked to see the Cavs rewarded
> with a selection, although the obvious choice, Andre Miller, doesn't seem
> like a fit on a team that needs more big bodies.
>
> Anyway, as I said earlier, I'm glad Toine and Pierce weren't selected. They
> didn't deserve it after the way they mailed it in for most of the first half
> of the season. Putting up numbers on a bad team is meaningless, and I'm glad
> the coaches recognized that for the most part.

That's ridiculous. Toine and Pierce played all year as hard as any
other players in the league. Just because the record is not good, it
doesn't mean they were dogging it.

-David