Re: East All Star Team

Would Pierce be the next SF/SG selected? Maybe, although some would argue
for Reggie Miller, Jalen Rose, Eddie Jones, Latrell Sprewell, Jamal Mashburn
or even David Wesley, all of whom have performed pretty well for better
teams. Still, the fact that there are seven players with legitimate
arguments ahead of Pierce and at least six more who probably have support
around the league puts in perspective just how loaded those swing positions
are in the NBA today. Good players at those positions are growing on trees,
while it's hard to find deserving centers, power forwards and point guards.

As for the power forward spot, I'm not so sure Toine would be the next
choice. I'm actually amazed Brian Grant didn't make it. He has been great
for the Heat, scoring more, rebounding, guarding bigger players and assuming
a leadership role on that team in Mourning's absence.

The NBA still gets to select two replacements for Hill and Mourning, right?
The Mourning pick will come down to Antonio Davis, Dikembe Mutombo, Marcus
Camby and Jermaine O'Neal. The Hill pick could go to Toine, although I'd say
Grant is more likely. I also wouldn't be shocked to see the Cavs rewarded
with a selection, although the obvious choice, Andre Miller, doesn't seem
like a fit on a team that needs more big bodies.

Anyway, as I said earlier, I'm glad Toine and Pierce weren't selected. They
didn't deserve it after the way they mailed it in for most of the first half
of the season. Putting up numbers on a bad team is meaningless, and I'm glad
the coaches recognized that for the most part.

Mark