The Suns

The Phoenix Suns (24-16) visit the Fleet on Friday night coming off a
big 33-point blowout of Detroit to break a season-high three-game
losing. The Suns were led in victory by the ageless Cliff Robinson, who
scored 27 points in 28 minutes. As a team, they held Pistons' go-to-guys
Stackhouse and Joe Smith to 11-41 shooting and a team 29.8 FG%.

As you know, Jason Kidd has missed the last four few games while Penny
Hardaway and Tom Gugliotta remain on the injured list. Nevertheless, the
Suns will still bring to Boston a lot more firepower than what Atlanta
has on its roster.

Rodney Rogers (previously linked to Boston in the league-nullified trade
for Tony Battie) leads a powerful bench and is part of a devastating
forward rotation (with Marion and Robinson). Rogers has poured in 21.9
ppg over the past five games and led the team in scoring three times in
that span. So watch out, Eric Williams, Pierce and friends.

Shawn Marion (also linked to Boston as what might have been had we not
traded our first round pick to get Vitaly Potapenko) meanwhile has led
the Suns in rebounding in each of the past eight games. This guy is
averaging 11.0 boards for the season.

The frontcourt firepower of the Suns should be evident on Friday night,
led by Marion (15.6 ppg), Robinson (17.6 ppg, 4.2 rpg and a near
career-high 3.1 apg in his third decade in the league), Rogers (13.2
ppg, 4.6 rpg, 2.6 apg). The Suns are a pretty good passing team with a
bunch of guys capable of setting up teammates for a hoop. They rank 6th
overall in assists, surprisingly ahead of even Sacramento.

I mentioned the depth of the Suns' bench. In addition to Rogers it
features former NCAA championship MVP Tony Delk having a career year
(13.5ppg behind his trademark 3-point shooting). In case you were
wondering, the rumored Celts-rookie center Jake Tsakalidis is
contributing a respectable 4 ppg and 2.6 rpg in just 12.0 mpg.

Another surprise, Phoenix leads the entire NBA in both steals and
turnovers forced. Boston is not far behind, ranking third and 5th
respectively.

As for weaknesses, the Suns list a pair of starting guards that even the
injury-decimated Boston backcourt might be able to handle. The point
guard is Elliot Perry (unless Kidd plays) averaging 4.2 ppg and 2.4 apg
in 16 games with Phoenix. The shooting guard is solid journeyman Mario
Elie, who at age-37 looks nearly cooked (4.9 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 2.2 apg in
23.2 mpg).

Look for the Suns to attempt over 14 treys per game, with Robinson,
Rogers and Tony Delk all averaging over two attempts per game. We might
see some impressive back-and-forth fireworks from the forwards (Boston's
forwards are averaging something like 50ppg since the changeover).
Hopefully, Pierce and Walker will show home fans what they were missing
with those late-night games out West. And hopefully Bryant Stith and
Miracle Milt will show enough production at home to provide the clear
edge in backcourt scoring we'll likely need in order to win.

Go Celts!