Re: O'Brien's two cents

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hironaka" <j.hironaka@unesco.org>
To: "Cecil Wright" <cecil@hfx.eastlink.ca>
Cc: <celtics@igtc.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2001 12:45 AM
Subject: Re: O'Brien's two cents

> Cecil Wright wrote:
>
> > I find it interesting that nobody challenges the assertion that Williams
is
> > a better defender than Griffin.  Wasn't his defense the primary reason
for
> > his notoriety last year?
> >

> I think if Griffin were fully healthy he'd play in any 8 man rotation on
any
> team in the league. But he doesn't have the athleticism to make up for
being a
> half-step slow from nagging injuries.
>
> The fact that this "Denver Chicken McNugget 2-pack Happy Meal" (Stith and
> Williams) are the third and fourth best Celtics players right now ought to
help
> remind people that maybe all the problems with the Celtics aren't the
fault of
> our two best players. I think we need to be careful about scapegoating the
best
> players out of impatience with losing. If either guy were on a veteran
winning
> team, I believe they would be doing the maximum to help their teams win. I
> believe they are very valuable players who are committed to winning and
happily
> make the sacrifices it takes to do so at this stage in their careers (or
any
> stage). But on this team, that means being "selfish" and passing the ball
only
> to each other.

I agree and have been thrashed about the head and body on this list for
saying that very point.  All they have is each other basically.

> Now that Ainge is on record blaming Antoine, the incredibly vague Mike
Fine
> article now makes a lot more sense. Clearly Fine was referring to Gaston
when
> he said that "management" was preparing to dump Toine. The point is that
Gaston
> first needed to hire a basketball executive who actually agrees with his
> plan....voila Ainge who lives 3,000 miles away and has been out of the
game for
> a year.  Fortunately, Ainge has until the end of the season to evaluate
and
> make a move, thanks to Antoine's base year compensation. All things
considered
> I personally think that's enough time for Antoine to prove whether he is
part
> of the eventual solution, or part of the problem.

Dropping 47 and 13 on CWebb seems to signify that he's part of the problem
though.  I mean, did you see all the shots he had to take to get that 47?
Get rid of him.

Cecil