Celtics beat the Heat

The Celtics did look good last night; Mark Blount was very active,
especially. (I was dismayed at how little he played because he really had
an impact on the Heat, and on the speed at which the game was played, when
he was in.) But there were some disturbing elements.

1) Truth is, the Heat looked terrible. Someone put soporifics in their
Gatorade. They had no big men, but they still got a disturbing number of
offensive rebounds. Tim Hardaway looked really bad. As my son pointed out,
there was no need ever to back off for fear of a drive. He wanted to shoot
threes. When someone covered him, he was toothless.

2) Virtually all the scoring came from Antoine and Pierce. Antoine was
doing a nice job all night driving inside. Pierce, on the other hand,
missed a bunch of layups and free throws. If he'd hit the easy shots, the
game would have been put out of sight. In the fourth quarter, Pierce and
Antoine took over the offense, not out of selfishness, but because nobody
else could put a ball in the hoop. Stith, in my view, was bad. He hit that
big three, but he missed so many others. For someone who camps in the
corner, waiting for a pass, he needs to make more.

3) The offense shut down when Kenny hurt his ankle. Say what you will about
Kenny, but he can run an offense. Brown was ineffective. Palacio (nice to
see him) did a good job, but only for a few seconds. If Kenny is going to
be out long, we're in trouble.

Frank