Re: Walker

>From: "R. Bentz Kirby" <bocelts@usit.net>
>
>When he [Walker] goes on these
>rebounding streaks he inspires a vision of the player he could be.  But,
>the bottom line seems to be (as I posted the other night) he is a
>selfish ball player who does not pass out of even a triple team for the
>open shot.

This seems to be an accurate criticism of Walker.  Though he has
shown that he will pass out of the double-team, especially early in
the game, there are times when he still takes it in against 2-4
defenders (and gets his shot blocked), or makes a move down low
against the double- (sometimes even triple-) team.  That doesn't help
the team.

>He takes way too many threes.

He's shooting 69-191 for 36.1%.  This is not bad, yet he still gets
criticized for "jacking up the three."  In my book, anyone shooting
over 33% for threes ought to continue shooting them.  Anyone
approaching 40% ought to shoot more of them, and guys shooting under
30% ought to reconsider it as a weapon in their arsenal.  Walker
falls into the first group.  Hell, maybe he ought to shoot _more_ of
them, even.  On the other hand, if the criticism is that he shoots
them at inopportune times and/or with lot's of time left on the shot
clock, I heartily agree.  It's just that I can't agree with the Tommy
Gun "he ought to play down on the _block_!" attitude.  Walker has a
good three-point shot (finally!) and he ought to use it ... wisely.

>Yes, he is versatile and has
>great upside potential.  But it will not be realized until he grows up.
>Maybe he can have an epiphany like Webber did and become a complete ball
>player.

You got some heat for this, Bentz, and I don't agree with why you got
it.  It's not an _excuse_ as much as it is a _reason_.  It can
probably be traced back to the fact that guys like Larry Bird and
Magic Johnson ought to jump to the NBA after their sophomore years;
guys like Antoine Walker ought to stick in college and learn the game
better.  People might get tired of hearing it, but what else can you
expect from the recent phenomena of the underclass deluge of NBA
rookies?  Did no one think this would have practical effects on their
games?  It might wear thin after a while, but that doesn't really
change it, now does it?

>  > The problem, folks, isn't Walker.  It's the
>>  surrounding talent, Pitino's college methods, and the
>  > fans in Boston who don't support the team
>
>Yeah, it is all the fans fault, nothing to do with the players.  The
>players are the problem.  Pitino failed as a GM, not as a coach.

Why _must_ there be this "all or nothing" approach to this issue?
Isn't it obvious to anyone that Walker is flawed (though he has
improved -- just not as quickly as one might hope for, or even
expect) and that the C's don't really have a lot of talent
surrounding him and Pierce, and Pitino made errors as coach and GM,
_and_ the fans aren't helping anything by booing?  Am I the only who
sees this? (as Paul M. might say).

>And before I end this rant, remember folks, this team
>  > is still gonna make the playoffs.
>>
>  > Anonymous

I like the sentiment.  Can't give up on the season and call yourself
a real fan, imo.  But the playoffs are becoming less and less likely
with every loss, and I suspect that chances are that it won't happen.
It would take quite the winning streak to make it.  I can't quite
bring myself to think that it'll happen, even though I hope for it.
While you gotta have hope, you also need more than that, too.  Damn
shame.

Regards,

Bill, the Celtics "Tird", as always.