Let him eat; contract!

Title: Let him eat; contract!
   I found Steve Bulpet's column very interesting this AM. He wrote, essentially, that Pitino should stay, as he has unfinished business. It should not be the coach that fires himself, because the players aren't winning, but the ownership should decide if someone else could do better.
   Of course Peter May, today, wrote just the opposite, and the real issue, which Bulpet seems to have missed, is that by Pitino walking, he could turn back some considerable cash to the owners, as a moral gesture; saying: "I'm not worth the money you are paying me."
   After watching last nights game, I was really amazed that we were in the game at all. I figured with Battie's injury and the really poor performances by Antoine and Anderson in the Atlanta game, we were ready to start playing for contracts.
    I didn't see the whole game, but I did see the end of the second quarter, when we lost our lead and I saw most of the fourth quarter where we reverted to turnoverville and forced shots and lost the game.
   I was totally impressed with Walker and Anderson. Why did Walker play three quarters (and not all four) down low and where have all those post moves been this season? Kenny was everything we could ask from an aging point guard with arthritic knees. Why did they bother to bring their A game and play unselfishly? On the other hand, from the minute Pierce entered the game, in the latter part of the second quarter, all I saw from him was; where is my shot?  I began to remember how really bad we were the last two seasons and how those teams would never have been in these games at all. Perhaps we have crossed some of the distance and are only needing to learn some finishing moves, to make our arrival as contenders in this league. Have I been suckered in by Antoine again?
       Would a Pitino team, with a very good draft and a trade or two be ready to turn the corner next year or the year after? Do I want to bring in someone else to blow it up and start over? Well, it depends on who.
   If Larry Bird walked through that door, I'd say yes. I can't think of another soul, who would be available, that could have done any better. The good coaches are employed, all the other choices would be a crapshoot.
   Pitino's substitutions have always infuriated me. Chris Car should have played. How many more points would Houston have scored if Carr were guarding him? Stith was working too hard to get his shots, late in the game, either he is tired, injured, or just slow. As good a player as he is, he isn't going to get off shots in traffic or being guarded closely. Carr can do those things and play in transition as well.
   To get back to the main issue. What should Pitino do about finishing the season? I agree with Bulpet. Let Gaston make the decision. If he wants to fire Pitino and Rick wants to agree to a buyout, it's his prerogative, but don't quit in midseason.
   If there is a sale to take place, this could become a cat and mouse game between Gaston and Pitino to save some of Gaston's profits from the proceeds. To hell with that. Gaston signed the contract, he can eat it.
JB

Unchain My Heart!