Trade rumors

Looks like Atlanta is taking the lead in the pursuit of Rahim. Pitino's next  destination ?

January 3, 2001, 5:37:46 PM
Blazing Trails for Mutombo

WEDNESDAY FEATURES

Ultimate Power Rankings: Critics giving the Sixers some loving
MVP Watch:So what's the difference between Vince and T-Mac?
Power Rankings: Sac-town holds the throne for one more week

Behind the Boxscore: There aren’t any cartoons left in the NBA

Breaking News: Grant Hill comes out of surgery. Read the prognosis.

2001 Draft PageThe Chinese Connection: Wang Zhi Zhi and Yao Ming square off in the 'Battle of the Century' and what many feel is a sneak peek at the top two most coveted players outside the NBA

Portland blazing a trail for Mutombo - According to the Columbian: Respected Portland journalist Ken Vance writes about the latest rumors that has Blazers GM Bob Whitsitt talking to both the Grizzlies and Hawks about a three-way deal sending Dale Davis, Bonzi Wells and Will Perdue to Vancouver, Shareef Abdur-Rahim to Atlanta, and Dikembe Mutombo to Portland (from Vancouver Sun). New reports have the Blazers talking to the Hawks about a straight deal for Mutombo in exchange for Dale Davis and possibly Steve Smith (can you say irony?) Yet another report has the Knicks offering Glen Rice to the Blazers for Davis, but Portland are holding out for Allan Houston.. . In the same article, Whitsitt said he has no regrets in trading away Jermaine O'Neal, future All-Star, for Dale Davis, former All-Star. “It’s not like I didn’t think Jermaine was going to turn out to be a good player,’’ Whitsitt said. “I’ve always said he could play. For whatever reason, we just couldn’t get him on the floor.’’ The Blazers were obviously following a win-now mentality. Davis summed up the Pacers end of the trade like this, “They’re not winning are they?’’ Yet while O’Neal is starting in Indiana, Davis has been relegated to a reserve role in Portland, averaging 7.1 points and 8.0 rebounds. Blazers Rant

Campus life for Pitino? - According to the NY Post:Celtics coach Rick Pitino said recently of his possible exit, 'This is not like Bill Parcells leaving after a Super Bowl. I don't think anybody's going to be shedding any tears as I depart the town.' So the question now becomes where will Pitino end up when he leaves the Celtics? Right back at Kentucky, or at Indiana, according to sources. Pitino appears destined to bolt Boston since they haven't responded to his earlier ultimatum. His wife, Joanne, loved her eight years at Kentucky and would prefer to go back to Wildcat country.. If Kentucky does not take Pitino back, the other likely choice is Indiana, where interim coach Mike Davis is trying to survive the post-Bobby Knight era. Pitino, an undisputed  terrific college coach, would give the Hoosiers the fresh start they seek, plus Pitino could employ his demanding style there. Celtics Rant

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image