Portland is Trouble

Having returned to my home in Oregon from Vermont just prior to this
NBA season, I have been able to watch roughly 30 Blazer games this
year. The key change from last year to this is not the trades, or
injuries, it is the play of Damon at PG. He has been incredible this
year, and I say this as one who, as Blazer fan (#2 behind the C's),
was interested in dumping him after his largely disappointly
inconsistent play as a Blazer up to this point

He has improved in nearly every aspect of his game: inside and outside
shooting, shot selection, stellar defense (a big change), and
incredible leadership.  Wallace may be their best player, but Damon
has been their most valuable: I have seen at least a dozen games where
at the end of the third into the fourth HE HAS BEEN the difference.
Whether it has been taking an 8 point lead to 14 with 8:00 in the
fourth, or stopping the hemmorhaging of a large lead, or closing the
11 point deficit to to a manageable 3 going into the fourth, or
picking up the fourth/fifth foul driving at opposing team's guard
stud, Damon has been the man when it mattered most. Many, many games
I've seen on consecutive possessions at a key turning point in game:
Damon for 2 plus a foul, Damon steal and pass to Wallace for thunder
dunk, Damon rebound of miss and pull up for three. I am not lying and
I am not exaggerating. Again and again I have seen such things this
year out of Mighty Mouse.

We'll really get to see where PP stands against Wells who has been
playing incridible ball (top FG% for guard in NBA, top rebounder per
48 for guard in the NBA, great at stealing, good defender, smooth
shot, great ups and moves to the hoop). Then you bring in Steve
Fricking Smith to back him up!

My prediction:
Damon and Sabonis/Davis eat us for lunch.

Wallace/Walker close to a draw, with around 11 points more for Walker
on poorer, shooting and defense. I look for Wallce to get 3 or more
blocks against AW.

Wells and PP a draw, with Paul with more points, Wells with more of
everything else, and 50+ FG%.

Don't get me started on bench comparisons.

Blazers are too hot, too veteran, to fall apart or let down, even at
home against such a poor Eastern team. We are liable to get squished
on Saturday. Our only hope is for Kemp to take 20+ shots.

Trond Jacobsen
Eugene OR