Re: thoughts on Grizzlies loss

OzerskyJA wrote:

> No, I don't think it's a must win.  We can get win any two games on this
> trip, though I want three and secretly hope for four.  I think the team may
> have been a little rusty coming off the all-star break.  We can lose to
> Seattle and still be OK.  Let's not torture ourselves.

    I agree. The Celtics should not lose perspective or put too much do-or-die
pressure on themselves. A breakeven .500 overall record spread over the final 32
games of the season adds up to 38 wins, a number which I believe O'Brien or
Pitino had said might be enough for a playoff seed this year. It goes to show
you how in the NBA, one hot stretch and par or even sub-par play for the vast
bulk of the season can be enough to get you into the playoffs.

    Having said that, I agree with Mark that the Seattle game is a biggie, and
that we'll need to steal a tough underdog win like that even to get the minimum
two wins from this trip. Two wins keeps us from going ten games under .500.

    Last night demonstrates just how average our team depth is after the two
captains. Eric Williams deserves praise lately, but his 1-10 shooting further
suggests that his All Star break and off-season priorities are not at all where
they should be as a professional. I harp on this too much, I know, but I find it
amazing he would publically boast of not picking up a ball or working out even
once all last summer in order to focus on his charities. Does that have anything
to do with his .342FG% so far this year? Of course it does. What a doosh. Not to
put it all on EW, but geez I wish he had shot 2-10 instead of a 1-10 and we
escaped with the only sure win of the trip.  The Celts as a team blew a solid
lead in the last few minutes, but it never should have gotten to that point in
the first place IMO.