Re: Interesting idea

----- Original Message ----- From: David Darlington <davied99@netzero.net>

> I've liked the idea of zone defenses in the NBA for a long time as well.
It
> would be nice, but I don't see it happening either.  Isolation play has
hurt
> the "team" aspect of the game.  Zone Ds would force players to pass more.
> I'd also like to see more fast breaks, but I don't know which rules you
> would change to make that happen (cut the time allowed in the back court?)

I hate the idea of zones myself.  With the kind of athletes in the NBA and a
24 second shot clock, you might as well just hold a three point shooting
contest.  Increase the shot clock and you'll have 52-46 games.  If you want
to get rid of all the isolation play, it's simple.  Start calling carrying
and travelling.  The league went soft on these rules years ago because it
made it easier for players to make the highlight reel kind of plays.  Well
guess what?  That's all that's left.  The first guy I remember doing the two
footed hop before taking off for the dunk was Dominique.  He did it all the
time.  It was a travel then and it's a travel now, and the game is suffering
because of it.  And the "crossover dribble"?  Sheesh, give me a break.  I
know Magic used to turn the ball over on every dribble as he waited to pick
out the man to pass to, but he didn't use it to beat a man the way players
do now.  A couple of months ago I saw a move by Kobe at the end of a half.
He got  a rebound with about 10 seconds left on the clock and took off up
court.  At half court he was met by two players and proceeded to put his
hand under the ball, pick it up, throw it between the two defenders, run
between them and resume his dribble in time to lay the ball in.  I saw it in
so much detail because TNT showed it in super slow mo' close up about a
dozen times while drooling over how well he "split the defense".  Uuugh.
Get rid of those two already illegal moves and you'll find players will
actually have to move WITHOUT THE BALL to get open!  Gasp!  Next week we'll
talk about the need to do away with the Detroit Pistons "hack everybody
who's taking a shot, or moving for the ball, and hope only a small number of
them get called as fouls" defense, because if you're going to slow down the
players on offense you'll also have to stop them from leaning all over each
other on defense.

And, by the way.  What's with the "planting of the pivot foot a second and a
half after you caught the ball" move that EVERYONE does.  When did that
start happening?  I can see how it helps coming off a pick, because you can
square up after catching the ball.  But when Antoine or Vitaly does it
standing all alone out around the top of the key (which is all the time) it
is just comical.

Jim