Interesting idea

Anyone else excited at the idea of abolishing the illegal defense rules and
allowing NBA teams to play any defense, including a zone? Here's a good link
on the subject:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/magazine/basketball/nba/news/20
01/01/30/nba0205/

Anyway, I've been in favor of this for a long time. The game has
deteriorated to a series of isolation plays, and little else. Granted, if
you allow zones, it probably gives an advantage to teams with a great
shot-blocker, but what's wrong with that? Should a team like the Celtics be
able to neutralize Dikembe Mutombo simply by stationing Vitaly Potapenko out
near the 3-point line, even though Vitaly clearly isn't a threat out there?
I don't think so.

I also think zone defenses would spark serious changes in the way offense is
played. Shooters again would be at a premium, and passing and player
movement would be vital. You beat good zone defenses by moving without the
ball, passing quickly and shooting well. Doesn't that sound more interesting
than isolation basketball?

Probably wishful thinking, but I'm all for it. Anyone have any thoughts?

Mark