Re: Clipper game

>    And I'm tired of listening to fans (ours and theirs) kvetch about the
> refs.  I have no idea how they manage to make calls amidst ten antomical
> giants moving in a small space.   They do the best they can and, if anyone
> here read the NY Times story a year or so back, they work hard at it.  Do
> they get every call?  Nope.  The refs are part of the game.  Want to take
the
> refs out of it?  Score 20 more points than the other team.
>  - Doug

The refs are part of the game is the only part of this that you are correct
about.  Referees are an integral part of the game, I grant you.  However,
they are prone to making mistakes just as easy as players are prone to
missing free throws.  Though they are right the majority of the time, NFL
officials have had many calls overturned due to replay this year.
Basketball officials are no better nor worse but they are certainly not
above being criticized for mistakes or in some cases...attitude.

I recall Toine being given a technical for hanging on the rim after a dunk.
If he hung there, it was for about .5 secs.  Since then, I have seen several
players shake, rattle and roll on the rim with no call.  It is impossible to
get them to call everything with a perfect degree of consistency, but
nailing a guy with a T when he is not trying to taunt is pointless and could
be the difference between winning and losing at the NBA level.

Wasn't it basketball refs who were indicted for tax evasion recently?

Cecil