Musings on Sunday

   I was looking at the NBA standings and note that the Celtics
     1.  Are atop the eastern conference
     2.  Are one of eight NBA teams with winning road records
     3.  Are tied for fifth best overall record in the NBA
  And it hit me:  I simply don't believe it.  This is NOT REAL.  This list,
full of very knowledgeable fans, generally figured "Maybe .500, maybe
playoffs."  We were thinking about a different team.  Who switched teams on
us?  This has to be a dream.  I read the stories, I watch the games on TV,
but can't believe it.
   But please, please don't wake me up!
   To make it even better, I get to see them play next Saturday against the
Clippers, whose fans, like us, are wondering just where their team came from.
 Everyone knows the LA Clippers don't have records like 15-11, just like
everyone knows that the Boston Celtics don't have records like 16-8.
   But gut check time is coming.  After what should be a reasonably easy game
against the Griz on Wednesday, it's off to the west coast for four games in
five nights:  Utah, Phoenix, Clippers, Sacramento:  four western conference
teams with winning records and one (Utah) that will have one soon.  Last
year, that's 1-3 at best.  This year?
     For the first time in about ten years, it's fun to be a Celtics fan.  My
certificate of ownership of ten shares hangs proudly on my office wall, next
to the panoramic shot of the Gahden c. 1990.
   Go green!!