> From: GuyClinch@AOL.com

>  There's no way our
> > best big guy, best rebounder, best offensive rebounder and best passer
> > should be shattering the NBA record for 3-point attempts by some 200
> > heaves.
> > No way.
>
> This is a good assement of Walker.

Come on.  No it's not.  Mark Berry has a lot of things against a
non-traditional power forward.  That doesn't make him right.  He may be
correct, but he also may be hidebound.  "Antoine shouldn't be taking so
many threes" -- except he wants to, the coach wants him to, the players
want him to (Mark's picking out the occasional Pierce quote that *may*
suggest that he doesn't notwithstanding).  Oh, I forgot, because he's a
"power forward" it means that he shouldn't take threes.  (I mean, Karl
Malone doesn't -- and Rick Pitino wanted Walker to come to camp in "Malone
shape" -- hmmmm, it's all fitting together...).  That he shoots over 33%
is meaningless.  He's a power forward.  When will Obie ("The Dayton
Destroyer") and Walker ("The Punk") realize that this 16-8 record is
meaningless and get back to some traditional basketball?  I don't know
about you, but I'm sick and tired of winning 66% of the games.

> If you try to reign him in as a coach. Yes you WILL get fired. If he can
> force Pitino out, the most famous coach in all of basketball, he can get
> anyone forced out.

Sure, sure.  Antoine Walker -- the most powerful man in the NBA.  Can
force egomaniacal president/coaches out of their jobs in a single bound.
*Assuming* that's what happened.  I haven't been convinced by Mark B.'s
constant harping on this point yet, and I doubt anyone will change my mind
with any variation of the evidence that's been presented so far.  Of
course, it was all Walker's fault (not Pierce's) that Pitino left.  Not
Pitino.  No, no.  That record he compiled was so good that, if it wasn't
for Walker's knife sticking out of his back, he'd still be here,
marshalling the Green to winning twice as many games as they lost.  Sure
thing.  (Why, he's probably holding Obie-won hostage right this very
minute, forcing him to allow him to shoot threes, and holding his job over
him.)  Damn that Antoine Walker.  He's the best power forward in the East
-- why can't he *act* like a power forward?  Why can't he play "down on da
bahx"?  Why can't he average 30 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists *every
game*?  God, he's such a punk.  That he doesn't control every aspect of
the game like a puppeteer *every game* makes him about 70% of what he
"ought" to be doing.  Gimme a break.

I'd love to have five "punks" like Antoine Walker playing for me at any
level you care to challenge me to.  (OK, maybe four Walkers and either one
really capable pivot man or a ball-handling point who can hit the open
jumper, but you get the idea.)  I think I'd let all four or five Walker
clones take the three anytime they were open.  The heresy!  I may garner
some wins, but I'm sure it wouldn't look pretty to basketball purists.
Maybe I could find a league that gave points for aesthetics?  For doing
things "the right way"?  There *are* leagues like that, aren't there?
There must be... .

Bird
(The Celtic "Tird")

P.S. On an (unrelated) grammatical note, it's "rein in" (like a horse) not
"reign in" (like a king).  I mention it only because I'm sure we'll see a
ton more posts on this tired old subject over the course of the year, and
know what a premium the List puts on the the subtleties of grammar.  I
live to serve.  No thanks necessary, just throw money.