RE: Did we miss a golden opportunity?

Mark,

Don't you think it's much too early for this? You're projecting Brendan
Haywood into a "legitimate, upper-echelon starting center" based on two
good games out of a seven game NBA career. Eric Montross looked pretty
decent after a full year and his career hasn't exactly been a smashing success.

You're also including incredibly questionable "evidence" like "Doug Collins
can't stop raving about him." Jim O'Brien can't stop raving about Eric
Williams either, but I doubt other teams are banging their heads about not
trading for him when they had the chance.

The "Kedrick Brown vs Brendan Haywood" debate is basically a long ways from
even getting started. Kedrick is clearly a project that had no Division I
college experience, compared to Haywood who was a senior in a big program.
He's going to outperform Brown early on, without question. It's like
comparing McGrady vs. Van Horn; Van Horn had a much, much better rookie
year but clearly McGrady was the better choice in hindsight. Or a more
painful comparison can be made between McGrady and Ron Mercer, who seems to
be basically the same player he was as a rookie.

Is it too much to ask for you to wait until Haywood has put up maybe ten
good games instead of two before you start criticizing the braintrust for
making a poor decision? There's plenty of evidence that suggests that
judging drafts even after one year is wildly inaccurate, especially with
underclassmen - all the high school kids like Rashard Lewis, Jermaine
O'Neal, McGrady, guys like Baron Davis, Nowitzki, and quite a few others.

I think you can make a more convincing case for Forte vs. Tinsley or
Parker. Wallace is on record as preferring Parker, I think. I listened to
the Chris Wallace show last week and he did state that he prefers an
offense with a true point guard, so I don't think that the "Walker as point
forward" will stop him from trying to acquire a true point. But he said
that they were hard to find, and he also mentioned that Jim O'Brien felt
that a point guard who couldn't shoot would cripple the offense. Anyone
else who caught the radio show may want to clarify or correct this because
I wasn't paying close attention. What I wonder about Tinsley is whether
he'll eventually suffer the same fate as Brevin Knight, another guy who was
NBA ready due to a four year college career, posting big assist numbers.
Brevin's lack of shooting ability eventually caught up to him and he didn't
really have much upside after his rookie year. I was reading a comment from
an anonymous scout who felt that Parker would eventually be better than
Tinsley because of a Tinsley's similar lack of upside - what you see right
now might be the best you'll ever get.

What worries me in particular about Forte is that Wallace is optimistically
projecting him as a combo 1-2 guard, which sounds to me like the equivalent
of a utility infielder in baseball. I guess that similar and fairly
successful examples might be Derek Anderson, Antonio Daniels, and Larry
Hughes, but each of these guys has far more athleticism than Forte. Still
early, but even the GMs optimistic projection doesn't sound that great to me.

Alex