RE: Did we miss a golden opportunity?

You're right. Why bother? Let fate run its course.

Should the Celtics be excused for their mistakes because Portland drafted
Sam Bowie instead of Michael Jordan? I'm not giving up on anyone the Celtics
drafted, but I don't think it's out of line to point out the fact that the
two glaring areas of weakness-the two most important, most difficult
positions to fill-could have been upgraded in the draft.

The "braintrust" is going to be judged on these kinds of decisions. Two
years from now, if we're still running Battie and Potapenko out there and
finally admitting that Joe Forte isn't a point guard, how would you judge
them?

I'm just pointing out that Tinsley and Parker aren't the only mistakes the
Celts made in the draft. Haywood would have solved a lot of problems right
away, and probably turned into a legitimate, upper-echelon starting center
in a year or two. How many of those guys are there?

Look, there are a lot of ways the Celtics could have gone in the draft...
trade up, fill needs, best player... but there isn't a lot of evidence (yet)
that they did any of those things. It's way too early to pass final judgment
on Brown or Forte, but is there any evidence that they were the best players
available at those spots? No. Did they fill needs? No. Kedrick Brown could
turn into Tracy McGrady, and if that happens, great. But based on what we
know now, I think it's worth mentioning.

Mark

P.S. Someone tell Obie that it takes six fouls to foul out in the NBA.
Sitting Pierce for basically the whole second half with four fouls was nuts.