Re: Kenny vs. Milt

At 01:01 PM 8/23/01, Jamey Rallis wrote:
>This was covered by many people last season, but I'll remind Alex anyway.
>It's more than numbers.
[cut]
>It's not always about numbers, sometimes you actually have to watch the
>game.

These are pretty obnoxious statements, Jamey. Just because I cite
statistics in a post doesn't mean that I think they're all that matters or
that I don't watch the games. I think that it's pretty obvious from my

Now, your post seems to miss the point of my original post, which is not
that "Milt shouldn't have a job", but rather, Kenny still has something to
contribute to this team, which you agree with later on in your post.

>How many games last year did Milt come in and turn a 10 pt 3rd quarter
>deficit into a 10 pt lead?  Or get some easy baskets in the 4th quarter?

>Milt pushes the ball hard up the court when he senses the defense is
>tired.  He goes hard from end to end, and he puts the ball up at the hoop.
>Everyone on the court has to realize that they have a few seconds to get
>their asses up the court to be part of the play, or they may as well not
>run at all. His teammates have to run to get their precious "touches", or
>to score points, and the defenders have to run to play some D, get some
>blocks and steals, keep from getting faced, etc. It all results in what
>Cousy complains about the C's lacking the most, easy baskets in the 2nd
>half.  Or is that Tommy.

I like the idea of having an up-tempo team. But how many easy buckets is
Milt really getting per game? Well, less than three, because he only
averages 6 ppg. The point is, the guy is not just a bad offensive halfcourt
player, he's a bad offensive player period, by NBA standards. This sounds
mean but it's actually not meant to be. The guy has made it to the NBA
through hard work, he's getting paid 3rd string wages, and he puts in good
effort. He helps the team because he plays defense and he pushes the tempo.
I appreciate all that. But my point is that Kenny is a flat out better
offensive player - shooting, getting to the hole under control,
ball-handling, and passing - than Milt. Which is why he's going to still
have a significant role on this team.

>Now it's tough to do all game long, it's tough to do in the first half,
>and it's not as effective on the road.  He also sucks when it's not
>working and he has to play 1/2 court offense, but then he can go hide.
>
>So if Kenny is playing 1/2 court well, they make a hell of a change of
>pace combo.  If Kenny would push the ball, Milt would be a castoff.  If
>they start Milt, and use Kenny mostly in the second half, I think it will
>be a disaster. But used as a fast break tempo guy in the 2nd half of
>games, I think it will work well.  Hell, start Walker as point forward
>with Forte or Johnson guarding the other point guard and leave Kenny out
>of it if need be, but use Milt in the one and only capacity he's good at.

I agree with all of this. Milt has a role on this team because he does do
some things better. He can defend and playing with Antoine can cover up
some deficiencies, and he's got the "upside" as Bill Bird mentioned. But as
you've described, he's a marginal NBA player. Kenny's got his own role and
his own problems too. I've watched Kenny ever since he's come to the
Celtics, and yes, I wish he wouldn't walk it up the court so much, or fall
in love with his own dribble in the halfcourt. And his defense is a
problem. At the same time, he takes very good care of the ball. When
healthy (or at least two years ago - maybe he's completely broken down now)
he can get to the hole under control, in the halfcourt, sheerly from
quickness and dribbling ability, which is something that Palacio still
struggles with (the under control part). He actually hits Antoine with some
nifty passes occasionally when he's posting up. And he can shoot the ball,
which seems to be underrated on this list. Papile's a broken record about
Jim O'Brien wanting shooters, but he needs it for spacing reasons. If you
have two guys in the post, you need three shooters.

The suboptimal Kenny that everyone complains about averaged 14 ppg on a
good shooting percentage, and from watching the games, this wasn't from
walking up the court and jacking up 3's and taking it to the hole every
time. Everyone says "shoot first" but he gave up the ball to Walker and
Pierce, who still managed to score 20 ppg each with this "ballhog". From
what I saw, he gave up the ball and took many of his shots on return passes
off double teams or on set plays. He would take it to the hole when the
offense stalled (and yeah, sometimes when he just felt like it). This team
clearly needed more scoring from the 3-12 spots last year and it should get
more from some combination of Joe Johnson, Kedrick Brown, and Kenny Anderson.

Palacio, on the other hand, is never branded a "shoot first" point guard
because he doesn't have the ability. If he ever averages 14 ppg, he really
will be "Miracle Milt." But then again, he's not a "pass first" point guard
either. Like Kenny, when he takes it to the hole, he doesn't dump it off,
but in general he turns it over more. On the other hand, he pushes the ball
up the court and plays defense and has Antoine to cover for his passing
weaknesses, which is pretty good for a CBA pickup making sub-exception
money. I'm glad to hear he's been working hard on his shooting too.

So, in summary, I think that both Kenny and Milt have something to bring to
this team. I just think Milt is more appreciated for his limited
contributions because he's a feel-good story who is making little money,
whereas Kenny is an obnoxious underachiever to the point where many people
want to cut him just to open a roster spot for Khalid El-Amin.

Alex