Re: Bargain hunting

on 8/22/01 4:12 PM, Berry, Mark  S at berrym@BATTELLE.ORG wrote:

There still are some interesting veterans out there who might be had cheap,
considering the salary cap and luxury tax concerns around the league. As of
now, all of these guys are looking for work:

Anthony Mason
Marc Jackson
Chris Gatling
Gary Trent
Shammond Williams
Jimmy Jackson
Jelani McCoy
Carlos Rogers
Adam Keefe
Todd Fuller
A.C. Green
Vladimir Stepania
Mark Strickland
   **********************
   I'm also a big Gary Trent fan. He is a Fortson with a shot. A big tough
rebounder, with some foot speed and athleticism. What is the medical
prognosis?
   Another player on your list is one I've followed for a while and would
love to see on the c's; Mark Strickland. Although not a pure point guard, he
is much better at it, than Palacio, or say, Dana Barros. Strickland is also
a good rebounder, a tough defender, who shoots well and with three point
range. He is a rotiserie star, showing up all over the box score. A great
role player, who goes all out. New York needs a center. What about a trade
of Battie/Potapeko and Eric Williams  for Strickland  and Othella
Harrington? Charlie Ward must be expendable now also?
   What would it take to get these guys? If we had a creative front office,
who were working the phones looking to make some trades/sign and trades, we
might be able to upgrade here and there.
   As far as Mark Jackson? They are playing hard ball in in the Bay. Could
we make an offer, of say, Battie or Potapenko for him?  He is clearly the
class of your list of free agents.
   I love these speculations and normaly spend the whole summer playing
these games, but with our Brain Trust, pretty much mailing it in, with the
roster we have, it's discouraging.
   Say what you will about Pitino and nothing he tried seemed to work, he
kept trying. There was never a dull moment and any speculated move had at
least a chance of coming to fruition as he was impatient and hungry for
success.
-JB-

Unchain My Heart!