Stith to sign with Cleveland

This is a curious signing -- all i can figure out is that Stith
really liked John Lucas b/c (a) the Cavs most certainly will be worse
than the Celtics and (b) according to Bskball.com the contract is in
the neighborhood of $2.5 million/2 years.  i can't believe we offered
less.  Maybe but

maybe Stith saw the writing on the wall and knew his playing time
would be limited this season.  Whatever the reason, i really will
miss Stith.  I think his maturity and presence on the bench and in
the locker room will be missed -- and in general has been overlooked
in evaluating last season.  Yeah he only averaged 10 points but his
defense and spacing kept us in many a game.  And i think that even
though he was less talented than Pierce or Antoine, they accepted his
leadership.

the maturity is something i hope McLeod can bring, which has been not
discussed in the trade breakdown.  Reading his comments make me
somewhat hopeful -- "i'm never going to be a star, i just want to do
my role well" or something to that effect.  We need more role players
who will accept their role.  He may have sucked as a coach (may have?
well... DID), but ML Carr was a great role player.  When we fans
"build" teams i think the intangibles are what we overlook (which
would make sense since they are intangible).  Its why teams like
Portland fail, while teams like Orlando 2 years back overacheive.

mark

--------
Cavs expected to sign Stith

08/08/01
Branson Wright
Plain Dealer Reporter

Cleveland Cavaliers coach John Lucas said that last week's trades
were only the beginning. He was right.

The Cavs are expected to sign Bryant Stith this week, said a source
close to the negotiations. Stith is a 6-5 shooting guard who can
replace Matt Harpring. Harpring, Cedric Henderson and Robert Traylor
were traded last week to Philadelphia for Jumaine Jones and Tyrone
Hill.

Stith averaged 9.7 points for Boston last season. He would rejoin
Lucas, who was an assistant in Denver when Stith was there. Stith was
selected in the first round (13th overall) by Denver in the 1992
draft.