Celtics Delusions & Bleak Future

A nice unbiased opinion filled with clarity, not the
local yahooism....

http://www.contracostatimes.com/sports/stories_front/steinmetz_20010429.htm

Matt Steinmitz - Contra Costa Times
4/29/01

DELUSIONS, DELUSIONS: The Boston Celtics are Exhibit A of why life in
the Eastern Conference can be a problem. The Celtics, who made a late
run at the playoffs before falling short, will bring back coach Jim
O'Brien, who took over for Rick Pitino in January.

That's fine because O'Brien got the most out of the Celtics, going 24-24
after taking over. But the fact of the matter is, if you miss the
playoffs in the Eastern Conference and go 36-46 in the process, you're
far more of a bad team than a good one.

Still, there tends to be optimism -- however unfounded -- surrounding a
team that just misses out on the playoffs. And the Celtics are no
different. Just listen to general manager Chris Wallace.

"We have an outstanding nucleus of young players who we can build upon,
and the possibility of three first-round picks in the upcoming draft,"
Wallace said. "That gives us some flexibility, not just to exercise
those picks but to consider the possibility of doing some other things
like making a trade. So we have a nucleus to build upon, and assets to
use. It's a very exciting time for me, personally, and I think for this
franchise."

Is Wallace kidding? OK, he's got a legitimate player in Paul Pierce. But
after that, the Celtics are still a mess. Their roster is still filled
with an assortment of bad names (Kenny Anderson, Tony Battie, Walter
McCarty, Mark Blount, Vitaly Potapenko) and their other so-called star,
Antoine Walker, is still extremely flawed.

You could make a case that Boston's future is far more bleak than any
Western Conference non-playoff team, including the Warriors.