Battier..

Hello all,

I think Battier will be a solid pro. If the Celts can get him with 10 or 14
pick
thats an okay pick. However that being said I dont think he has any chance
of being a superstar. He doesn't do anything well enough on an NBA level.
And yes you can find great players around the ninth or tenth pick....

Here is the rub: Yes he makes the Duke players look better, but they also make
him look better. The problems with Battier are simple enough.

He is not that big, he is not that strong....
But also he is not that fast, he is not that athletic and he doesn't shoot
that well.
Finally he doesnt have a special game ala Walker or say Sherm Douglas or
even Reggie Lewis that would overcome these deficencies.

A guy like Shawn Marion came out of a relatively poor performing program
but is much better. Ya can't ignore the quality of the surrounding players in
evaluating a player. Bobby Hurley, Christian Laettner and so on were all super
college players, but the pros are different.

Superstar? 3rd pick? I don't think so. Rick Fox...probably.

I agree with folks who think Dunleavy will be a better pro.
Dunleavy is a great shooter. He has a nice stroke. He could develop into
a taller Jeff Hornacek. Being a great shooter with some athleticism is
something nice. I have seen this guy play before he went to Duke in the
McDonald's all
american game (I think)... He can really can stroke it.

He isnt coming out though.
With his succesfull dad he can afford to spend all four years in college.
I would too. College is lots of fun, especially if your a star player on a
powerhouse
college team. I don't think all the money in the world could beat that.

Pete