Re: Why did we sign Randy Brown? Antoine should be the PG

Jeff stated:
>I admire Brown's intensity and good work ethic, but I just don't think he
> brings enough to the table to justify his 2+ million a year.  The guy is a
> decent defender, but he gets schooled by any young quick point guard.  He
> has yet to make a nice assist and can't really shoot.
>
> I think antoine should be officially designated as the starting PG and the
> C's should try drafting a real PF instead of some tall PG.  It's been 5
> years and I think we've seen just about all that Toine can do.  He'll never
> be able to defend a legitimate SF or PF, nor will he be able to consistently
> score against them in the post.  He has had much better success and giving
> out assists and shooting 3's.  Isn't Magic Johnson his idol anyways?

Dave responded:
>Randy was brought in for his leadership, not his point guard play...... snip
and
>I agree that Walker deserves some credit for his ability to pass the ball,
>but he is not a true point.....  snip

I have liked what Brown has brought to the table.  He was the #2 PG behind
Anderson.  This is what this team needed.  Plus he came from a team where he
won rings and was still there when they started to rebuild.  He had maturity
and doesn't get nervous on the court.  Compared with Anderson, he deserves a
raise.

We didn't have a PG who could/would play any defense, we didn't have a PG
who could/would lead in the locker room, we did not have a PG who would
accept his role and still give 110% all the time.  He has mad some great
"turning point" plays throughout the year. I.e. a steal or a stop.

He may not be the best PG in the league, but at his price, who was available
that could bring this team what he did?  Remember Stith, Palacio, Herren
didn't come until after the fact.

It's funny, when one guy dives on the floor for a ball, you see someone else
do it later and then another person etc...  The Celtics didn't have anyone
who would go down onto the floor "first".  He showed the bench guys what
needed to be done to contribute.  He didn't need to kow tow to ANYBODY on
this team.  He has done more in the NBA then any single player on the team.
So he wasn't going to need to hold back what he needed to say.  Kind of a
coach/player.

He contributed more on the court as a player in the first half of the year
and has since stepped aside for Palacio without anyone reading in the paper
how the team isn't "respecting" him.  Who knows what he has contributed to
Palacio in helping him make the next step.

In the mean time, don't forget that Walker, again this year, came into camp
out of shape.  He couldn't have played PG because he couldn't run up and
down the court while holding his head up.  He is a wonderful passer and
around the all star game when he is finally in shape he becomes a terrific
player who is still learning his personal playing bounderies.  But a PG?  I
don't think he has the mentality for it.  I'd like to see him define a role
on this team as either a 3 or 4 in the next couple years, but for next year,
I like see him just come into camp in basketball shape.

<Jim