Re: Pierce stabbed

Champ 17 wrote:

> Another sad day for all the Celtics fans worldwide.
> Fate has really frowned upon the team.  I guess Im
> going to mail in the season.

Don't forget Poultrino signed Chris Carr for just such a contingency.
The Chris Carr and Randy Brown off-season heist will surely ratchet up
our rivalry with the Bulls. ;-)

Seriously though, Antoine will probably need to put up 20-10 numbers for
the Celtics to even tread water through the early season. So much for an
easy early home schedule.  I hope Antoine can carry the load without
reverting to his 20+ shot attempts attitude of three years ago.

Look for Adrian Griffin to start next to Anderson and for Pack to get
back in the picture as a Dumars two-guard. Look for Antoine to sink or
swim at small forward, and for Moiso and/or Battie to get a chance to
start for the first time. But I'm just glad Pierce will be back at all,
hopefully soon and as good as new.

If Antoine can't play some small forward next to our beanpole power
forwards, this will be a weak team. Forget about Carr or Waltah (or
Cheaney who got 19 starts last year) trying to fill Pierce's shoes.
Puh-lease. Antoine will have to make the move to effective small forward
minutes.To the degree that this move is forced by necessity, it is a
good opportunity for Antoine to prove "he's not a power forward" on the
court and not just in words.

Another possibility, Eric Williams, actually was the Celtics "6th man"
last year in terms of minutes per game, averaging 20.3 to Cheaney's
19.5. Williams also had 17 starts, but as I recall did nothing special
with the opportunity and the team lost most of the games. This isn't a
very deep or talented NBA team at all if you remove Paul Pierce from the
picture, but they are still a bit deeper and a bit more athletic than
the fun 36-win team built around Travis Knight and the Pips. Glass half
full.

Go Celtics,

Joe

p.s. Yeah Amy Beauregard, I'll also say a few Hail Mary's for Paul
Pierce. I doubt it will help, mainly because it's not my faith. But I
really think we are lucky if Pierce pulls through, which now seems
likely. That's a blessing for once.

------