Battie to start

That's one of the interesting tidbits to come out over the last few days
(although the Globe's Shira Springer seems to have missed the memo). Pitino
says Batgirl will start for now, but if he doesn't practice hard one day, or
doesn't play hard one  day, he's benched again. He's using the starting spot
as a carrot to keep Battie motivated. Seems smart, but I doubt it will work.
Guys like Battie just sell themselves short and break a coach's heart.

More good things from Pitino on Moiso the last couple of days. In fact, all
the praise is a little overwhelming considering the production we've seen in
the games. He must really be having some great practices. It's great to hear
how much Pitino likes the guy. Says he has more athletic talent than anyone
he's seen in 27 years of coaching. Wow!

Eric Williams is the starting small forward for now. You all know how I feel
about this. I don't like Williams' game at all and feel he's an even worse
fit with the starting unit. Griffin played better Friday, and I still like
Stith. But, we're stuck with Williams for the time being. Hope I'm wrong
about him. He's a terrible rebounder and he has to guard Jerome Williams
Wednesday. Doesn't bode well. In fact, this first game terrifies me for
exactly that reason... Detroit won't be a good team, but they should rebound
pretty well. The Celts may get hammered on the boards.

Looking more and more like Herren will start the season on the IL, although
it seems like Pitino really doesn't want to do that. If he did, you'd think
he would have just said it. Instead, he's meeting with the trainer today to
see how Herren feels. Just sounds like he's hoping Herren is available. He's
not the only one. I know Kenny had nine assists Friday, but it was more of
the same with him... plodding, no energy. Someone said he looked tired.
Bingo. He always looks tired.

Vitaly may have played the two worst games of his Celtic career in the last
two preseason games. He opened the door for Batgirl. He truly was awful
Friday night.

Speaking of Friday night... how good is Tracy McGrady? The Celts should have
given the Raptors their pick of Pierce or Walker for that guy in a
sign-and-trade. He's great already and is only getting better. Also.... I
know the Celts won, but I really didn't like their effort against the Magic.
Toine shot the ball well, Pierce was aggressive and Battie was active early,
but other than that I didn't see a lot from the Celts. I was a little
disappointed. I'm telling you, this team needs Herren and his energy. With
Kenny playing the bulk of the minutes, you're going to see a lethargic team.
Did anyone else notice him just stop and watch while Darrell Armstrong
chased down an errant pass in the backcourt for a dunk? That's our floor
leader, folks.

Mark