Re: Moiso speaks after game vs Spurs

kevin from singapore wrote:

> http://www.nba.com/celtics/moiso_001013.html
> Rookie notches nine points, eight rebounds and four blocks vs. Spurs
> Moiso Impressive in Debut Related Items
> San Antonio 100, Boston 80
> His game wasn't without mistakes, as several times he let his man free on the
> defensive end of the floor. But he did not get rattled. After letting Steve Kerr
> pop out for an open three-point basket, which drew some jeers, Moiso responded
> by grabbing a board and putting it back for a quick basket while drawing a foul.
> "I know defense is one of the big things I have to find on this team," said
> Moiso.

    I didn't watch this particular play, but the very idea that Jerome Moiso's
responsibilities included guarding Steve Kerr (a stand still shooter who never
ventures within 10 feet of the paint) reveals something about the headless chicken
system that I honestly feel I already knew from watching games on video last year.
Who ends up guarding who in the Poultrino trapping system has nothing to do with the
merits, or logic of the matchups. It is hard for a team that finished 11th from the
bottom last year to move much further up into playoff contention, because they have
to offset the fact that Pitino has devised the second worst defense in the NBA last
year in terms of FG% allowed. It is an achievement, in my opinion, that they even
managed to finish 11th given that continuing handicap.

Joe

-----