Re: Damn, we should have signed Larry Brown instead of Pitino...

In a message dated 11/28/2000 4:00:51 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jaimsite@edsamail.com.ph writes:

> If I could remember right, we were about to sign Larry Brown but had to let
> him wait awhile to see if Pitino would take a bite...and unfortunately,
Larry
> Brown felt slighted making him feel he's just a "consolation" coach if we
> didn't get Pitino.
>
>  Bad bad bad move.

-------- Hindsight is 20/20.  Brown has a history of getting out of town when
the going gets tough, and I know that I, for one, preferred the Pitino route
over the Brown route.  (The Bird route was better than either.)  Pitino had a
lot going for him and I am sorry it isn't working out, but I don't think the
decision four or five years back was a bad one, given what we knew then:
great success in college, high level of success in a (short) stint in the
NBA, ties to the New England area, and a strong likelihood that he would be
in it for the long run (a bad bet with Brown.)   Who woulda thunk it...