Re: ESPN Article on Pitino

Vinny Natale wrote:

> I just read and sent here the article by Wojnaroski.  I'm familiar with his
> articles from reading those that he has written about the Yankees.  I don't
> put a lot of stock in what he has to write.  Some of his Yankee articles
> were ridiculous.
>
> Vinny

Hi Vinny: That was a harsh ESPN article, who knows what inside info or
resentment engendered it. I do believe Pitino knows that his used car salesman
calibre gift of gab can get him out of a mess, and he does rely on it and has
lately been shoving his foot in his mouth. But Wojnaroski was harsh and not
entirely fair. Pitino has clearly physically aged and worked his ass off trying
to turn around the Boston Celtics, he registered his (stunningly successful)
thoroughbred stable as "Celtics Pride", and it is clear he gives a damn about
the city of Boston. Going to Billie Donovan's coronation as a bad-ass college
coach may have looked bad for Rick Pitino, but there are also positive qualities
there in what the coach did out of pride for a former over-achieving player.  I
truly doubt Pitino was trying to deflect Donovan's glory back onto himself (I
think Pitino was genuinely proud of his disciple based on the quotes I read,
even factoring in Pitino's "Spintino" reputation).  What I guess I admire in
this article is the extra democratic checks-and-balances a cynical and free
press gives you. You can't get away with jack in America, based on celebrity or
resumé. Pitino is a target for local media criticism because of his glibness and
oily slickness. Still, take away the oil slick on the surface and I see a really
hard working, positive, definitely committed guy. I wish Boston didn't have to
struggle to overcome 47% opposition shooting every damn night just to have a
shot at winning in this league (we didn't even have to suffer through this under
ML Carr). And I wish we would stop meandering so far away from traditional
Boston basketball, which I feel is aesthetically and philosophically 180° away
from Poultrino's "shoot any three-pointer if you are open wherever you are in
the shot clock" style. But hey his team defeated a talented, more deserving
playoff team in Orlando (which shot over 48% against us, raising their season
average to 42% shooting for the season). I can't complain so far.  I realize
this.

I'm listening to the WEEI game. Go Celts!

---