Importance of Point guards: was Re: Random thoughts...

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 GuyClinch@aol.com wrote:

> Look I am not a great hoops player but I have managed to play with a few good
> players here and there.
> Kenny can flat out play. You need to really watch him, not just listen to
> hype.

You're right, he's a seriously talented player who doesn't get due credit.
You can't teach the way Kenny, or a Sprewell or Kobe goes to the hoop or
gets their own shot (instinctive and smooth).  But I think a team oriented
point guard who's fixated on the win, doesn't give up on D, and just runs
the offense is more effective for the Celtics in the long run.

And it's not just a style preference that keeps him from being a fan
favorite. If Kenny had developed the leadership "intangibles" that other
street style players like Sherm Douglas(one of my favorite Celts) or Sam
Cassel has, alot more people would root for him.  You look at Herren
interacting with teamates and can tell even if he's not as talented, he
has the potential to lead/unify a team better.  So basically I
disagree with you and don't think Kenny can ever produce great results
with this team.

> Marbury also seems to have some similiar habits because he has some of
> the same kind of skills.

Marbury is different because he's the most physically gifted point guard
in the league, trains harder than most, yet also plays for the win, not
the stats.  Just the other night, he swished a jumpshot with NORMAL form
from half court(probably never done before during a real game).  But
also gets people easy shots, yells at slacking teamates, and gives up the
ball on the break much more than Kenny.