Re: Don't stop with Pitino

I'm not arguing that Pitino doesn't deserve to go. I'm just saying I hope
they send the trash out with him. What reason do we have to believe that
Walker, Pierce and the rest of them would listen to any other coach more
than Pitino? Is another coach going to come in with a better track record?
With the power? The job security? You think these guys will listen to a
journeyman coach--someone like a George Irvine or Paul Silas? You want to go
the hot young guy route, a la Doc Rivers? Or has his magic touch worn off
this year? Our guys have shown their true character (or lack of it), and a
new coach isn't going to make a difference with the same players. Larry
Bird? Please. Bird is smart enough to stay far away from the sidelines with
this group. He may buy the team, but he won't coach it. No, it doesn't
matter who the new guy is, we need new blood in here. It can be done. It
will be long and painful, but it can be done.

Am I overreacting? Maybe, but I just can't tolerate what I watched last
night. I have been an NBA defender for years now, arguing that people who
dismiss the NBA's brand of basketball are doing so based on a stereotype,
not reality. Unfortunately, the Celtics fit that stereotype to a T. Selfish,
paycheck-grabbing egomaniacs who care more about stats than winning. When
people ask what's wrong with the NBA, they need look no further than Boston.
It's a shame, because this always was the one place where that didn't seem
to apply.

I'd advocate a full-scale tank job at this point if I didn't know Pitino
would never allow it. The players may make the decision for him, however.

Mark