Celtic Notes

BskBall Speaketh the Truth
http://www.bskball.com/rumors
BOSTON, the C's have a leader alright, its just not anyone on the floor.

When your coach is the only person with leadership skills, its hard to
make a team work. Randy Brown was brought in for this, and he has had
about as much effect on the C's, as you have. The team has 2 great
impact guys, but neither seems to excel when it really matters,
sure both Walker and Pierce will drop 30 on you, if you let them,
but when it comes to the 4th quarter they take ill advised shots
and fail to stop defensively. I am also convinced that the Pitino
system does not work in the pros, and the player know it. That
added to the lack of an impact "follow me to the promise land
player", the C's are destined to struggle.

Mike Lupica says watch those classifieds

"It should be any day now in Boston that people start noticing
Rick Pitino's morning paper opened to the classifieds for college
coaches."

Lupica also says he'd rather watch the scintillating Omar Cook
than Marbury. Omar Cook is also on my list of players to watch
along with Troy Murphy, Eddie Griffin, Yao Ming....

Ira Winderman on The Celtics Steak Imbroglio

"This is what you get when the in-flight cuisine doesn't come in a paper

bag: The Celtics' charter flight after a game in Toronto was delayed
two hours because burning grease from searing steaks led to smoke
filling the cabin."

Leo Papile on Rick Brunson (Boston Herald)

Papile high on Brunson

Celtics director of player personnel Leo Papile, admittedly biased when
it comes to players he once coached in AAU ball, thinks the Celtics
lucked out last week in adding Rick Brunson to their roster. Brunson, a
former Salem High star who played for Papile's nationally known BABC
team for three years before embarking on his college career at Temple,
was signed after the Celtics learned starting point guard Kenny Anderson
would be sidelined at least a month with a fractured jaw.

``We had an emergency situation here with just one point guard
available,'' said Papile. ``Under the circumstances, he's as good a
player as you're going to find out there without having to go out and
make a trade.

``I've liked Rick as a person and as a player since I had him with the
BABC, but really, his track record as a professional speaks for itself.
He's become a solid backup NBA point guard - a player who can be a
terrific asset for a team that needs help at the position.''

The Celtics qualified in that regard, losing Anderson while waiting out
the mandatory five games Chris Herren sat out after he began the season
on the injured list with a sprained left ankle. Herren, another of
Papile's BABC alumni, returned to action last night in Philadelphia.

But even when the Celtics get Anderson back and they're at full strength
at the position, Brunson has a decent chance of sticking around. And if
he doesn't, he'll resurface on an NBA roster somewhere. His two years
with the Knicks is proof enough for Papile that Brunson belongs at this
level.

``If you last on a roster like the Knicks from the start of the season
to the end, and then you're on the playoff roster, it's because you can
play,'' said Papile. ``If you can't play, they just go out and get
somebody else.

``Teams like the Knicks, they pay top dollar for their insurance
policies. He's as good an insurance guy as you can get. He brings size,
energy and a great work ethic, and he's also a highly intelligent
player. I know he's going to help this team