Re: And he made both shots with a broken jaw.

    I agree that there is only so much a point guard can do in the system, and
they do tend to be the ones who are most scapegoated in general (that's hard to
dispute). Sherm, Bagley and Wesley only look good to us in retrospect. They
looked like liabilities when we had them.

    Tiny (Kenny's idol) had much the same game as Anderson, except he averaged 9
assists instead of 6 principally because he had three 55% low-post scorers to
pass to. According to my memory, Tiny rarely used the drive to make dish offs and
wrap-around passes either, as opposed to the patented Tiny/Kenny
sprawled-on-the-floor-after-a-difficult-layup-attempt.  Tiny took the same open
shots Kenny does off the kick out (Kenny's is more accurate IMO), avoided
turnovers and foolish play on a young team like Kenny, never was an asset on
defense like Kenny. He also said good rah rah things in the postgame interviews,
just like Kenny (who is exceptional in this way IMO).

    This is not to say that Kenny fits the system or hasn't been a big part of
the problem. I agree that sealing the perimeter from point guard penetration is
the one area where the Pitino system would most benefit, and that is one reason
an over-his-head rookie point guard like Chauncey (an aggressive defender) could
lead the Celts to the same record or better than Kenny has in his long tenure.

    But let's really wait a month. The evidence on Herren is far too small, and
his reputation on defense and his experience at pointguard play far too limited,
to jump to conclusions. If Herren works out objectively, I'm sure that at worst
we can pick up a useful overpaid starter in exchange for Kenny. If not, I'd kind
of like to see Kenny back out there wearing the Potapenko hockey mask. Bottom
line, I don't love Kenny but I don't blame him for everything and I think it is
wishful thinking to believe his departure alone would suddenly make Pierce,Walker
and Co. run a smarter, crisper offense.

    The Vitaly/Blount/Battie thing probably needs a few months to sort itself out
more conclusively (if the past is any guide regarding Battie's consistency), but
I wouldn't object to Blount already seeing an audition against some of the
bigger, less mobile NBA lowpost scorers in order to gauge how expendable Vitaly
might be if we receive some mid-season offers.

    I still have a feeling the Celtics could get well under the cap this
offseason with one or two moves not involving the Big Two, provided we can trade
one of our disposable veterans for contracts that expire after this year. A move
to clear cap space, along with those picks, could be just what this team needs to
get back into serious contention.

    I wouldn't be surprised to see Antoine playing point guard tonight, although
clearly he has been an irreplaceable asset down low and on the boards so far. I'd
like to see Toine get more into the flow of the passing game. It would be nice to
see Toine and Pierce on the perimeter with all our big bodies in there together
(Vitaly alongside Battie, with Blount and Moiso getting a longer audition).

Joe

Celtics Alumni watch:
    Pervis Ellison hasn't scored in two appearances for Seattle. Ty Edney has
appeared in every game for Indiana. Mr Vanessa Williams is struggle for the
Fakers, shooting .320 from the field in 23 minutes (his NBA.COM page still lists
as one of his hobbies "rooting for the New England Patriots"). Robert "Fudge"
Pack is averaging double figures for Denver in 17 mpg, shooting .480 and .842
from the line with 3.5 assists. Cal "Ball &" Cheaney hasn't played. Damon Jones
has caught on in Vancouver after his hot summer, averaging 4.3 points in four
games. Popeye Jones scored 4 points in his only appearance for the Wiz. Eric
Montross (the guy who brought us Antoine) has had 3 starts for Detroit. After an
opening game DNP, Ringo DeClerq scored 8 points with 6 boards in just 9 minutes
versus the Heat last week in garbage time minutes. Travis Knight has yet to score
a point in 22 minutes for the Knicks. Ron Mercer is averaging a staggering 39.7
minutes per game for the Bulls, but shooting just .375 and 14.7 points per game.
Sherman Douglas, 34 now, is going strong averaging 7.3 points in 14 backup
minutes for the Nets. David Wesley is averaging a career-high 16.8 points and 6.5
assists for the Hornets.
    Chauncey (along with Fort) has been the feel-good story of the bunch. He is
averaging nearly 14 ppg on .438 shooting in over 35 minutes per game for the
Wolves, and is among the league leaders in 3-point shooting. He still hasn't
found his niche as a pointguard (only 4.5 assists, but just 2.25 turnovers) but
with shooting like that he can be aim to be a Joe Dumars type off guard.
    In his last start, Danny Fortson was held to 11 points (4-11) and 12 boards
against the much taller Spurs. He has averaged 8 trips to the line per game
(.783FT%) while so far still leading the league in rebounds (15.3, 6.0 offensive
boards). Shockingly, he has averaged just 3.0 fouls in 31 minutes.
    Larry Hughes (.316FG%) and Antawn Jamison (4.7 boards, 4.3 fouls) are
struggling on Dave Cowens' 1-2 team, while old friend Chris Mills is off to a
stellar start as a 6th man (14.3 ppg, 6.3 boards, 1st in the NBA in FT%). Golden
State isn't that bad so far on defense, holding the Spurs, Suns and Nuggets to
.433FG%. The Fortson signing may look like a good move, but Adonal Foyle (2.0 ppg
in 19 minutes) continues to be a tease, while Big East star Vonteego Cummings has
slowly emerged as a quality late first-round steal notably as a downtown shooter.
Dave Cowens has only one assistant coach/consiglierie on his payroll, former
Bucks sharpshooter and Cowens teammate Brian Winters. Ainge and Bird, of course,
are outside the game this year.

--------