Re: Kenny...

I think the "idea" of Kenny Anderson is a lot better than the actual player.
Yes, he can dribble better than any point guard in the league. Yes, he can
shoot better than most point guards. He even comes up with an occasional
steal on defense.

The problem is, he does a terrible job running this team. He is the
floor-leader for a team that needs to push the ball, play tough perimeter
defense and be unselfish in the half-court. Kenny doesn't push the ball,
doesn't play anything resembling tough defense, and fosters selfishness by
dominating the ball. Never mind the fact that he sets an example for this
team with his low-energy effort night-in and night-out. He's punching a
check at this point in his career.

Kenny has much better point guard "skills" than a guy like Mark Jackson, but
who is the better player? Can Jackson dribble like Kenny? No. Is he quicker?
No. Can he shoot as well? No. But a point guard's job is to run the team,
and Jackson can do that. Kenny can't. At least not this team.

Is Herren the answer? You're right, we really don't know. But we do know
that this team plays better with Randy Brown on the floor, another guy who
can't dribble, pass or shoot as well as Kenny Anderson. Herren plays the
game with a reckless abandon that Kenny hasn't known since Georgia Tech. His
enthusiasm in his brief preseason stint was contagious, and the team ran on
all cylinders when he was in the game.

You're right, of course, about the front line. But there aren't any options
there. There are at point guard. I'm willing to take my chances with Herren
and Brown. If it doesn't work, I'll be the first to say I was wrong.

Mark