After watching the Phoenix game last night—only the
third time I’ve watched the Celts play this year—a few
observations:

o Be patient with Antoine and Pierce. They’ll only get
better. The silly, impatient plays/shots they make
will fade with seasoning.
o Vitaly can be a piece of the puzzle on a winning
team. Will be much more effective with a shotblocker
on his side. If we ever hope to beat the Lakers, we’ll
need his beef to keep Shaq in check.
o Barros is a total liability. A backup point guard
will do us wonders. I still think Antonio Daniels from
San Antonio would be a great pickup.
o Eric Williams—if we can’t dump his salary—can help,
but he’s got to develop an outside shot to round out
his game. He could become our instant offense off the
bench.I like his energy.
o Resign Fortson. He’ll be more valuable when we get
an athletic shotblocker to go with his ground(ed)
game. He’s a monster on the boards and can get garbage
points.
o Battie needs to step up in a big way. He’s one of
the keys to this team getting better. I suspect he
doesn’t have it, but here’s hoping he puts it together
soon. If not, find an athletic shot-blocker who's a
better garbage scorer.
o We can win with Kenny, but he needs a backup badly.
He'll be much more effective playing 30 minutes a
game.
o Chaney and Griffin are solid contributors in ways
that do not show up on the scoreboard.
o I still think Ellison has game left, but he needs to
be injury-free for another year to get his timing and
strength back up to par. Sign him at the minimum for
next year. If he’s still a noncontributor, cut him
loose.

Overall, I think the team is growing. Patience is a
virtue with this team. Add a backup point and a
veteran or two, and we can build this team into a
winner.

Keep the faith.