Thoughts on an important weekend

Well, it is quiet around here, isn't it?  It's been a wierd feeling for the
last few days, like being in limbo.  The Celts have managed to put
themselves into a position with 18 games left in the season to have a chance
at the playoffs. But how many of us believe they will do it?  I don't.  Not
with 9 of the next 11 on the road, and their miserable road record.  I
noticed the other day that Boston and Toronto had nearly identical home
records.  Can you believe that?  Toronto is 4th in the division!  Philly is
6th, and also has the same record.  What we wouldn't give to have a few of
those winnable road games back.

Anyway, the big push starts tonight, and could be over by Monday.  I've been
resigned to missing the playoffs since that loss to Dallas which put them 10
games under .500.  I know they still have a chance, but I'll have to see
them win a few road games before I believe.  Don't get me wrong, I'll still
be watching the games.  I still like the team, and I think they've started
to put something good together. I just think they dug themselves too deep a
hole.

I think they need to continue playing like this as long as the games mean
something, just to keep people from wanting to blow up the team.  We are
seeing right now that Antoine and Paul can be a pretty effective combination
and that some of the reserves are capable of being good role players.  I
particularly think Cal Cheaney gets a bad rap.  He was just starting to show
something when he had to take time off with his family.  He plays pretty
good D, and has better offensive skills than any of the other scrubs.  He's
a much more viable starter than Adrian and Walter.  The really impressive
part is that the team has been playing so well with kenny Anderson
struggling badly. Earlier in the season, the team's fortunes rested with
him.  When he played poorly, they lost every time.  This just goes to show
how well Antoine is playing, and how valuable he is.  When he plays well, he
carries the team.  I would say he played as well during parts of his second
season, but this could be the "smartest" basketball I've seen Antoine play
for an extended stretch.  It is extremely encouraging.  Now, if he listens
to all those people saying he's got to work on his body year round, watch
out.

Jim